gap between seals on UPVC windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the seals on the opening parts of my UPVC windows do not get fully squashed when the window is closed. Its not too bad near the handle but at the sides and the top there is very little squash and in some cases you can feel the wind.

There doesnt appear to be any way of adjusting the closure squeeze.

What can I do?

Replace the seals for a slightly thicker version?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hinge side is the probs and the sides. Most windows are 50:50 split fixed bottom pane and top opening sash, which is top hung.

Near the handle is ok. But the sides where there is neither lock or hinge is bad and one is gapped around 3 sides and only tight enough for a seal at the handle.

Were not talking silly gaps just not enough to squeeze the seal enough to be air tight.

Try fitting some closing wedges for the hinge side like these...

http://www.windowwidgets.co.uk/products/mouldings/mouldings.html

On a side opener they would fit on the vertical between the hinges, on a top opener they would across the horizontal between the hinges.

Back to a side opener - if the gap is between the hinge and lock side then these wedges won't work, that also goes for a top hung - if the gap is between the hinge and lock they won't work, in these cases its probably a worn hinge, see my explanation on worn hinges earlier this week....

//www.diynot.com/forums/windows-doors/upvc-window-not-fitting.347843/

Sponsored Links
thanks, thats priceless finding those wedges would not happen unless you suggested them!

On some of my windows the bottom and top opens. I can put my hands out the top opening and push the bottom sash which is top hung closed further compressing the seal. This doesnt happen by closing the sash itself with the lock handle.

Does this mean there is play in the hinges?

I have replaced a couple of rotten timber windows with UPVC as although I prefer timber because im a traditionalist 90% of the house is already UPVC. The cost of replacements is ridiculously cheap and as I am stripping rooms back to stone and insulating etc I might replace the worst of them.

Will those plastic youve suggested fit the majority of standard design UPVC windows?

There is nothing I need to do with the seals then if they feel ok?

Thanks

...'Does this mean there is play in the hinges?'...

Yes

...'Will those plastic youve suggested fit the majority of standard design UPVC windows?'...

They are universal, the pvc profile/system used for the openers has incorparated whats called a 'euro groove', this groove is used to house the locking mechanism, take a look and you'll see it, it'll be 16mm wide and about the same deep, this runs right round the opener because its the same section of pvc profile, the wedge with the little peg on it goes on the opener, the peg just stops it deforming when you tighten the screw, fit it so th widest part faces you, the other wedge fits on the frame, there is not groove for this so locating it in the correct place is unfortunately trail and error, fit it so the widest part is facing outwards (opposite to the other) when you finally the the correct placing the wedges should rub against each other and pull the pvc profile tighter on the rubber.

There is nothing I need to do with the seals then if they feel ok?

If they feel ok leave them, there are a multitude of shapes and sizes of rubber, too thick means it throws everything out and the opener becomes hinge bound, the lock is too stiff to lock.

Check out euroseal, there may be illustrations somewhere on their website giving cross sections and sizes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back