UPVC window not fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried to look for other threads which might help me fix this problem I have with my bathroom window on a property I've just moved into. I've identified a few problems it could be, but I am hoping someone would be able to give me their opinion.

The window is at the top of the frame, with hinges on the sides. One side fits snugly, but the other side is a LONG way out.

I realise a full inspection may be necessary but to me this is either that the hinge has failed, or the frame has warped. The window is probably fairly old, and the glass in the main panel beneath this has failed, so I am considering just replacing the whole thing, but obviously that would cost a fair bit more than playing with an allen key or replacing a hinge.

I'd really appreciate an opinion on this as the size of the gap is letting a lot of cold air in and making the bathroom very cold.

Thank you in advance

Matthew

Sponsored Links
Your friction hinge has failed or is worn, if you open the window right out and look in the top corner of the hinge you should see a V shaped cup, on the other part of the hinge(the side that is screwed to the opener) you should see a V shaped point, upon closing the point should locate into its cup, this will be very close to the opener being shut so you might need to look closely, when the hinge is worn the v slides up the outside of the cup and not into it hence creating this gap you have.

To measure for a new hinge just measure the length of the hinge on the frame, hinges can be found here...

http://www.securityhardware.co.uk/index.php?p=categories&cat_id=525&pid=525

In these pictures you can clearly see the V point, next you need to know exactly how thick your hinges are when they are scissored shut, this is the stack height, its either 13mm or 17mm, this is tricky to measure, you need to close your window but open enough to measure gap between the frame and opener, its not an exact but should give you some indication on the stack height of the exisiting hinges.

Fitting them will be fun, trial and error im afraid, screw them to the opener slightly to high or too low and the window won't lock.

Measuring for a blown dgu is simple, measure from the bead joint, width and height and deduct 10mm from each, you'll also need the overall thickness of the unit, nearly all current windows now are 28mm units, older ones were mainly 24mm with the odd 28mm chucked in, older still were 20mm overall, this size is critical it must be correct, it might be best if you could take the beads off to measure the width and height and also lean the unit into you and measure the thickness, the pattern is acrtic FYI, you also need the spacer bar colour, silver/bronze/or gold

When ordering the glass express your size like this...

Width first x height second, then glass thickness/spacer bar thickness/glass thickness i.e. 4mm/20mm/4mm in this case 28mm overall but depends on what you have, you can just write 28mm and the glass shop will just assume you have 4mm glass, you can come unstuck sometimes if your existing unit utilises 6mm glass, in that case the glass shop will have to reduce the spacer bar thickness to still end up at 28mm otherwise you'll get a 32mm unit wihich is not good :cry:

Next you need to decide if you need float glass or toughened, if the bottom of the glass is lower than 800mm from the floor then it needs to be toughened, also if its above a bath measure from the bottom of the bath not the floor, if its within 300 of a door then again it needs to be toughened, other than those two then float glass will do, check the corners of the old unit for a kite mark to help if your unsure which way to go.

You may now just want to get someone in to replace to whole lot :D

Thanks crank39, that's really useful. A bit of WD40 and the situation appeared to improve, so I took the brackets off which look like back to back Es (I don't know the technical name) and the window shut properly.

However there's one of those which won't shut properly, so I have left it off. I think I'll change the hinge soon, and I am guessing taking the glass out will make it a lot easier to take the frame off. That might give me a clue as to the glass thickness for the other panes, unless there's an easier way of telling thickness.

That's really helpful, and I'm now feeling more confident that this is something I can do myself. I'll give the plastic a good clean and change the rubber seals too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back