Badly fitting windows

1 Nov 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have bought a house which has old (externally glazed!) upvc double glazed windows in the bays.

Two of the five windows of the bay can open. They have side hinges. There is a large gap (0.5cm - you can see sky through it!) at the top of the opening window on the opposite side to the hinges. The opening window seems to be on an angle to the window frame.

The side of the window with the hinges does not seem to be pulled in 'snuggly' to the window frame when it is shut either.

It is present on both the left and right window (but is much worse on the left).

These obviously cause big noise/draught problems.

Should I be thinking of replacing/adjusting hinges or is it the window frame that is warped?

Thansk for any help
Sponsored Links

Sounds like the glass in your windows has not been packed or toe & heeled properly.

A good fitter should be able to sort it. :)

Main problem is trying to find one ;)

Good Luck
Thanks for the reply.

I had a fitter around who did the typical 'workman' thing.... oooohhh - ahhhh - oooohhh - that will cost you!

He has reccomended replacing the entire bay of windows!!

He did mention about packing it but said it would rewuire too much packing.

Could you point me in the right direction concering packing or hell/toe - I amy have a crack at it myself. Even if I just make the gap smaller - it will mean less of a bodge with the extra rubber seals I have jsut bought!
It is quite easy to 'toe & heel' the unit. You need to place plastic packers underneathe the double glazed unit on the hinge side only and at the top of the unit on the opposite side. This will effectively throw the weight of the glass unit onto the hinges in much the same way as the diagonal bar does on a farm yard gate. I haven't got any pictures to post up showing what I mean but I reckon you should search the internet for 'Toe and Heel' or 'Bracing D/G Units'.
It could be that the friction hinges might need replacing because they may be twisted by now. Measure the length of the hinge from top to bottom and ask a local window company to get some in for you. They should cost around £15-£20 for the pair depending on where you live and who you go to. Hope this helps?
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local