Casement window adjustment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope somebody can gives some advice.

I have several double-glazed casement windows, metal frame, probably aluminium but can't be sure, that have a central large fixed pane and smaller full height windows to the left and right that open outwards.

I'm not very familiar with windows and hinges but the hinges are fixed to the top and underside of the opening windows and also into the window frame. The hinges look like a series of flat metal bars that are all connected by pins and expand and contract as the window is opened/closed. hope that makes sense?

Anyway. Most of the side windows that open have a very bad fit. When the windows are closed there are large gaps to the outer edge of the frame which lets wind/noise in. Some of the gaps are about 8mm and run from top to bottom. The fit is ok where the window handles are which is inner/adjacent to the central fixed pane.

Is there a way of adjusting the side windows so there is a snug fit all round the frame when the windows are closed? Is this a problem with the hinges?

Please feel free to ask any questions as my laymans explanations may be a bit confusing.

Any advice appreciated.

UPDATE:

I researched this a bit further and the hinges are friction hinges. I also found a website that decribes my problem and suggests that suggests that it might be due to worn hinges, go to the URL below for more details:

http://doubleglazingsparesandrepairs.co.uk/hinges.html

I'd appreciate it if somebody could check out the above and provide a second opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This a pretty natural occurence given the weight of casements with IG glass over a 16 year period. The adjustment I've made is to remove the sash from the window and reposition the top hinge arm on the sash closer to the lock side. This will pull the opposite corner ( lower lock side) up and and stop it from dragging. Fill and prime the old holes.

Casement Windows Melbourne

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back