Gap between upvc window frame and bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just have a question about whether this bathroom window has been fitted correctly or not.

Whilst ripping the plasterboard off in the bathroom, I discovered a large gap between the internal brickwork and window frame. The gap seems to have been filled using a thin piece of wood and a couple of wooden wedges.

The window frame does not appear to be fixed to the exterior brickwork at all. It looks like the gap between the exterior bricks and window frame has been covered with a strip of upvc.

Is this is a normal way of fitting the window or is it a bodge?

Any advise on how to fix (if necessary) would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Two separate elements here, the window and then the internal surround. I think what your asking is if the surround has been fitted correctly, to be honest theres many ways of converting from box sash windows ( the gap there used to house the weights), you could brick it up then plaster over, box it out with 4x2 and plaster board it and plaster or just trim it out using timber or even pvc cladding, from the pictures I don't see anything untoward, I'd be inclined to foam the voids now though while you have it apart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back