Gap between Wall and plasterboard ceiling (with void)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've had to build a void ceiling with batons and plasterboard due to the state of the old cieling (once I removed the 3 layers of polystyrene tiles that is)!.

I've got a large gap (2.5cm) on a couple spots, where the pb ceiling meets the wall due to the offset walls.I've added a picture to show the worst one.

Normally, I'd just stick some Bonding in the gap, but as it's a void cieling, I've got nothing apart from the wall and the side of the 9.5mm pb for it to stick to.

I'm thinking of just putting some Scrim on the wall and then shoving as much Bonding as i can into the gap, hoping that it'll stick by 'oozing' onto the top of the pb in between the void and the pb ... but I'm not sure if anyone has come across this before? Other idea is to hammer a couple masonry nails in the gap (if I can) to provide some sort of mechanical key.

Any ideas? (That doesn't involve taking it all down of course!!!) Will just shoving Bonding in work?

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 20161228_210652.jpg
    20161228_210652.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3,130
Sponsored Links
There are number of ways around this, I would probably use dry-wall adhesive to fill the gap. If you have some plasterboard left over you could stick it up through the gap. This could be stuck via dry wall adhesive or screwed up to old ceiling. (NB: take precaution against damage to any cables or pipework, if screwing up.)

It would be possible to plaster fill the gap, but it may take a couple of applications, that is why I would use board adhesive, as the first application will set rock hard and providing it has been fed in correctly and made good contact to surface areas. It will not move on second application.

Thanks buddy- sounds sensible. I completely overlooked dri-wall ! I have a couple bags of it leftover from the insulated pb i put up.

only have a couple strips of pb left but these may fit the gap with a bit of cutting. I live so far away from a diy store it's real pain to go and have to get some more.

Thanks!
Chris

If you have some adhesive kicking about, use that. Mix up a stodgy mix, not too wet.
You can stick board to it if you wish or just use it as a filler. Try to avoid the adhesive dropping below finished board level, as when it sets it does not sand easy as it will go rock hard.

Sponsored Links
Just to let people know - dri-wall adhesive worked a treat. Plaster almost dried now, dried very evenly, shoved adhesive in the gaps and once set it wasn't going to budge.

Thanks
Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back