Gap under soil pipe : is this normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new bathroom fitted a few months ago. Loo is next to the bath (soil pipe goes under the end of the bath). I paid for the soil pipe to be boxed in. It is between the loo and bath.

Last night, due to the fireworks, the cat went missing. Discovered her under the bath - turns out there is a large enough space for her to get under the soil pipe to under the bath. I had to stick a camera behind the loo to see it. It's a spa bath, so there are electrics and a pump under the bath in addition to the normal pipes.

I contacted the plumber who says this is normal, that they never seal under the soil pipe.

So my question is: is this normal practice? Do i just have to accept that there is a hole that I have to stuff with loo roll to keep things from going under there?

Thanks in advance, C

Sponsored Links
Boxing in pipework is to improve the aesthetic look. It's not usually sealed totally to prevent pets from hiding in it .

I guess it's down to how its to look when finished. As suggest though, pets wouldn't normally be considered when coming to finishing it off.

I'd get some insulation and stuff it in there or cover it up with a bit of thick cardboard/hardboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back