Garage 1/2 (Painting and Sealing Wall)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If this should be in the Garden section, or another, please feel free to move it.

I have two questions about some touch-up work I'm doing on my flat-roofed / rendered wall garage. This is question 1 of 2 - the second concerns the flat roof (which I'll put into the Roofing section).

Firstly, I have started to paint the wall and it's looking OK, but I have noticed that there is a gap between where the wall ends and the tiles / slabs on the outside of the garage start.

GarageWallA.jpg

I think that water is getting in here in bad weather because at the other side of this wall inside the garage it is sometimes wet.

I would like to attempt to seal it better on the outside.

My first thought was to use what is put on roofs - lead flashing... but I doubt that would look very good and it's probably expensive?

So I was looking through the Screwfix catalogue and there's various sealants I could use... there's Dow Corning for sealing windows and frames, there's Geocel Trade Mate for draught proofing, there's No Nonsense Builders Silicone Sealant which is fungal resistant, weatherproof and UV resistant, there's even bathroom type sealants which come in an off-white colour.

But there's also something called Flashband on page 113 - this is said to be a "lead replacement" and looks like it comes on a roll of tape in various widths.

I'd originally envisaged a strip of product bent at a 90 degree angle that I could lay down at the side of the garage and either adhere to the wall and floor, or screw in, thereby stopping water going into the gap. I can't seem to find out what that might be.

Can anyone recommend what product I would be best off using if I wanted to try and seal this gap between my garage wall and the paving slabs?

Is it 1) a sealant, 2) a tape or 3) a strip of some more rigid product designed as a trim for this kind of thing? Or is it 4) something else?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
[hi you should leave a gap between render and paving flags or you will get rising damp up the wall . if water is getting down the crack you can fill with silicone or use flashband as these will not bridge the gap unlike cement which would absorb the water and will let it pass through it to travel up the wall(rising damp) :)

[hi you should leave a gap between render and paving flags or you will get rising damp up the wall .

That's interesting, thanks!

if water is getting down the crack you can fill with silicone or use flashband as these will not bridge the gap unlike cement which would absorb the water and will let it pass through it to travel up the wall(rising damp) :)

Any specific silicone product you'd recommend, or just something that says "for external use"?

Tempted by Flashband, no idea what it would look like when on, so will need to do some digging on Google.

OK... taken a look at some pictures of Flashband, it looks a bit big and kinda untidy. I could see it sticking-out like a sore thumb if I laid it down at the join you can see in my picture.

Think some kind of silicone is the way to go...

Sponsored Links
I have this loaded weapon in a tin of Thompson's Water Seal... should I use it on the side of my newly painted garage wall or is that a pretty bad idea?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back