Garage advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I currently work from home 3 days per week and have no suitable office space due to kids taking up bedrooms etc so im planning on trying to tidy up the garage and create an office space in there.

It needs to be done on the cheap as our finances aren't the best at the minute so i have though of the following:

White wash walls (to make it look brighter)
Seal floor with resin/epoxy (to keep the dust out)
Carpet floor (free as family member works in carpet shop)
Insulate garage door (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ENLV...t=&hvlocphy=9046778&hvtargid=pla-350524078023)

Then use a fan heater for when im in there.

Anyone got any ideas/advice/recommendations for this please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Without floor, wall, roof insulation it will probably be quite cold.

Up and over doors have lots of gaps -brush strip etc to seal gaps will help.

Is the garage dry or does it get damp or suffer condensation?

If the walls and floor are pretty dry, you could make it doable with some catpet on floor and paint the walls.

Sponsored Links
Without floor, wall, roof insulation it will probably be quite cold.

Up and over doors have lots of gaps -brush strip etc to seal gaps will help.

Is the garage dry or does it get damp or suffer condensation?

If the walls and floor are pretty dry, you could make it doable with some catpet on floor and paint the walls.

Thanks mate.
The garage is dry, it’s slightly set back from the house so about 50% attaches and it’s then attached to my neighbours garage. The left wall attaching it to the neighbours garage is 100% breeze block. The back wall is 100% single skin brick and the wall attaching it to the house is 50/50.

I was going to see wha it’s like after these bits and measure the temps before and after. Then I would consider getting it plastered if I wasn’t happy with the results.

You will need an insulated stud wall behind garage door if you want to stand any chance of keeping it warm.

Could you partition the garage and build an internal insulated room, reducing the area will keep the cost down.

Paul,
I have done this on a v tight budget.

For me the floor was coldest as you could never heat it (as a massive heat sink to the world), and then the walls (which would heat up slowly through day).
Garage door was an issue as became massive radiator - you could feel the heat or cold radiated from it in summer/winter (and I know cold does not radiate!).

New internal wall:
As garage space too large/expensive to heat and garage door an issue, I made a stud wall filled with loft insulation to make a very small office room which as now smaller is then cheaper to line with Kingspan/Celotex.

For floor:
So I put 1" wood battons on floor, and filled gaps with 1" Kingspan/Celotex, and put Plyboard ontop (chipboard not good as quickly damaged by office chair with rollers on).

For outside walls:
1" wood battons on walls at 60cm seperation, and filled gaps with 1" Kingspan/Celotex, metal tape to seal gaps. I never got round to putting up plasterboard, but that would be next stage.

Other:
- Loft insulation in Ceiling space (or sheet of Kingspan/Celotex screwed to ceiling and plasterboard ontop.
- 5foot LED tube batton to light room.
- Oil radiator heater with timer and thermostat so comes on 30min before I started work in office to get it warm. Put under desk so raising heat warms desk surface.
- Small fan heater to provide moving heated air for very cold days.

Notes:
I know that 1" Kingspan/Celotex is not thick enough, but I did make a massive difference for me and I could not afford any thicker. If you can afford 2" then use that.
That all made a room that was very ugly, but was warm(ish) and had ability to plasterboard later.

Hope this helps
SFK

Last edited:
If you shop around the 50mm is only a few £ more and will fit nicely in between CLS stud work (50mm x 47mm). My estimate is you need about 17 boards (2.5 x 3), so the extra cost will be about £100. It will mean your fan heater will heat the room up in about 10 mins.

16-17 Celotex boards £350
14 plaster board, tape and finish for the joins £100
9-10 sheets of ply - assuming 2 walls mount to the garage - I'd consider 18mm OSB £200. you can always add a rug or carpet.
studwork assuming doubling at the corners ~30 - £100
then a door and door frame
some cabling, lighting etc and you are done

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back