Garage Conversion Floor Height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We're having our integrated garage converted into a room which we're planning to carpet. I've just noticed that the new chipboard floor has been brought level with the hallway floor.

Is this right / standard?
Will it allow underlay and carpet to be fitted without a really high step-up?

(The hallway floor is engineered wood, which is approx 24mm thick without underlay. Meaning the hall floor is 24+mm lower than the new floor. If we replaced this with carpet then the height difference would be even larger I'd assume..?)

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Bit confused, so are you saying that at the moment the hallways has 24mm eng floor and is flush with the new garage chipboard, as you photo seems to show? And if you ever remove the 24mm eng floor there will be a step of 24mm?

Or are you saying that because they are flush now once the carpet is fitted there will be a floor level difference ie the carpet + underlay?

In a way, both.

The main questions are:
1. Are new floors usually made flush with the top of any adjoining flooring to the room?
(this seems odd, surely you'd want at least a 10mm depth? to allow for carpet, etc?)

2. Assuming we carpet over the chipboard.
Then we later remove the hall wooden flooring (24mm deep) and replace with carpet - will the height difference be silly?

Cheers,

Well you can’t have it all!

The builder should have ideally allowed for the carpet etc to get it all running through flush but in reality 10mm is not much and this can easily be overcome with either a timber threshold or a carpet edge trim. Even if you wanted to remove your timber floor then again a timber threshold would sort it out.

Sponsored Links
As long as there's a solution I'm happy!

I just didn't want the carpet fitters to throw a fit if there wasn't a solution after we've had the work done and paid the builder.
(I was only aware of the metal strips, but the timber thresholds seems to allow for a much larger different in floor height.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back