Raising Bedroom Floor - Guidance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got carpet in my bedroom. It looks tatty and I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to get rid and replace with a solid wood floor.

Under the carpet and underlay is what looks like a chipboard subfloor.

However...the bedroom floor is a bit lower than the floor of my hallway (wooden floor, about 28mm higher) and my bathroom (tiled floor, about 35mm higher).

Can I raise my bedroom floor myself by laying down extra sheets of chipboard/MDF/whatever? Are there any potential pitfalls I should be aware of? Also should I try to match the floor level in the hallway, in the bathroom, or "half and half"?

(obviously I need to allow for the thickness of the new solid wood floor - as well as the thickness of any chipboard/MDF that I put underneath it - in getting the level right)

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It's alway worth building up with readily available thicknesses of sheet materials, but try to avoid using any form of packer as they are almost guaranteed to drive you to distraction. So you could build up with a layer of 22mm chipboard and 6mm plywood on top to give you 28mm of build.

It's alway worth building up with readily available thicknesses of sheet materials, but try to avoid using any form of packer as they are almost guaranteed to drive you to distraction. So you could build up with a layer of 22mm chipboard and 6mm plywood on top to give you 28mm of build.

Thank you.

The 28mm drop from the hallway is from the top of the hallway flooring. If I bought wood flooring 15mm thick (which seems to be the most common thickness) I guess I'd need an approx 13mm layer of extra wood below it to get things level.

Or should I try to match the bathroom floor level (35mm = 15mm + 20mm)? Or just go for the average ie about 31mm (=15mm + 16mm)? I don't suppose it matters all that much if I pick door thresholds that can deal with a few mm of drop.

The 28mm drop from the hallway is from the top of the hallway flooring. If I bought wood flooring 15mm thick (which seems to be the most common thickness) I guess I'd need an approx 13mm layer of extra wood below it to get things lelevel.
Yes so 12/12.5mm plywood should more or less get you.there

Or should I try to match the bathroom floor level (35mm = 15mm + 20mm)? Or just go for the average ie about 31mm (=15mm + 16mm)? I don't suppose it matters all that much if I pick door thresholds that can deal with a few mm of drop.
As you surmise, you can always take 5mm or so out with a threshold strip

Depending on the type of flooring chosen you may also need to take underlay beneath the finished floor into account. How good is the bedroom floor? Pretty flat, or are there any hollows or crowns?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Yes so 12/12.5mm plywood should more or less get you.there

As you surmise, you can always take 5mm or so out with a threshold strip

Depending on thevtypevof flooring chosen you may also need to take underlay beneath the finished floor into account. How good is the bedroom floor? Pretty flat, or are there any hollows or crowns?
Thanks. The bedroom floor seems to be nice and flat, as far as I can tell (will be checking more thoroughly soon, before making any decisions about how to proceed).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back