Plywood subfloor - continuous flooring throughout bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With part of our renovations I'm replacing the terrible chipboard subfloor in our bungalow with T&G WBP spruce plywood.

The area we are working on has been gutted and taken back to an empty shell.

I'm making provisions for additional subfloor rigidity and strength at the moment.

Joists are:

75x220x4600
75x220x3300

400/450 centres

I've fitted 47x175 solid noggins.

Our intention is to fit the same flooring (Karndean) throughout the:

Master bedroom
Hallway
Dining room
Kitchen
Living room
Study

Tile the en-suite (wet room) and bathroom.

Carpet the spare bedroom.

My question is, shall I go with 18mm or 22mm ply?

The chipboard currently fitted is 18mm.

Our aim is to have no stepped transitions.

My lack of knowledge at the moment is in the area of tiled flooring in the en-suite.

Anything I should watch out for/be aware of? image.jpegimage.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Have you fitted all them noggins ? What for exactly ?! Christ do you run a timber yard ?!
Also would probably cut the section by the door out as it looks unsupported and waiting for someone to snap it off.

Yeah, all the C16 timber is what I've fitted.

You've got noggins @ 400 centres between two joists for structural support of a studded wall (you can see the void for the wall plate in the plaster at the end).

There are also two runs of noggins at 1/3 intervals across the span to stop twisting and add rigidity.

It's only £35 worth of timber and £10 worth of screws?!

Good spot with the previous chipboard near the door. I got lazy and wanted to change task, it was taking ages to trim it back to the joist with my multi tool.

It's only me doing the work, so I know it's there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back