subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Next weekends project is (was) to put an engineered wood floor down in our main bedroom;

After taking up the carpet for the 1st time since we moved in I've realised that we are walking around on what seems to be a standard chipboard floor (not even the green stuff)

The boards seem to be in decent condition, with no signs of sagging or even creaking.

Firstly, is this safe? Is chipboard enough to support the load of a double bed?

I was thinking of maybe taking out all of the chipboard and putting in 18mm plywood, but this is gonna hike the price of the flooring project up considerably.

So, is putting down 18mm plywood the recommended course of action? If so can anyone reccomend a good merchant in the W Yorks area who will deliver, preferably for free.

Also is there a specific type of ply, or maybe OSB that i should be buying for a subfloor?

Please help,

Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back