subfloor for tiles???

Dont think there will be any floor boards, just the joists by the sound of it. Mark the positions of pipes, electrics and joists onto the plywood sheets to avoid disasters. Other people may have better tips for this though.

Sponsored Links
We put plywood down over the chipboard just up to the plinths to save us the headache of removing the cabinets. The floor seems a lot more stable now so I feel more confident about tiling over the ply. I really appreciate everyone's input. Next time I'll be a pro. Yeah right!

Hello all,
Layed the tiles yesterday and everything seems to be ok, for a first time tile job anyway. My only problem now is mortar has seeped up in between the tiles where the grout needs to go. Probably should have cleaned that up before the mortar set but you live and learn. I'm assuming there's a special tool to scrape out the mortar but thought I would ask first if anyone knows of a good way to clean it out. Thanks for the help! Oh, how long should we wait before grouting? 24 hours or a few days?

Sponsored Links
coach said:
Hello all,
Layed the tiles yesterday and everything seems to be ok, for a first time tile job anyway. My only problem now is mortar has seeped up in between the tiles where the grout needs to go. Probably should have cleaned that up before the mortar set but you live and learn. I'm assuming there's a special tool to scrape out the mortar but thought I would ask first if anyone knows of a good way to clean it out. Thanks for the help! Oh, how long should we wait before grouting? 24 hours or a few days?
Just use a chisel - an old one is best because doing this will take the edge off quickly - removes the adhesive quickly though. I sharpen my chisels with a belt sander for a quick edge.
If you used a powdered adhesive - wait about 3 hours before grouting.
If pre-mixed - leave it 24 hours.
If pre-mixed over old tiles - leave it 3 days.

Used a tool I got from B&Q for around 2 pounds and it worked pretty good. Going to wait until tonight to grout so that it can dry over night without anyone walking on it. The grout we have is the bal superflex wide joint grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back