Ceramic Tiles on Chipboard Bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently ripped up some tiles from my bathroom to replace them with nicer ones.

The old floor was laid as:

Standard Wooden floor boards
4 mm plywood layer
18 mm Chipboard

Tiles on top of the chipboard.

I removed all of the chipboard and replaced it with new 18 mm tongue and groove chipboard.

My local tile place said I should rip it all up and replace it with plywood. I need to keep the level the same (ish)

Other options are:

Tile on top of the chipboard as is
Place a 4mm Plywood layer on top of the chipboard
Rip out chipboard and replace with 18mm ply.

I've taken some time over this so I don't want to rip it all out unless I really have to.

Advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
18mm ply throughout, also place noggins under every join. Do not tile on chipboard. Carefully take em up and use them to board out the loft, or give them to a friend to board out their loft.

18mm ply throughout, also place noggins under every join. Do not tile on chipboard. Carefully take em up and use them to board out the loft, or give them to a friend to board out their loft.
Or even better, have a nice bonfire next weekend with a Guy on top; it's where mine is destined! :)

Rip it all up & replace with 18mm WPB ply & support joins with noggins as suggested; screw every 200mm & use only the best trade waterproof/flexible adhesive & grout (BAL) not the DIY stuff; it’s comparatively expensive but it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back