Ceramic tiles on chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay ceramic tiles on a chipboard floor. Can I lay them directly onto the chipboard or do I need to lay a plywood base first? If so, should I prep the base (i.e. PVA)

Sponsored Links
PLYWOOD!!!!!!!!!!

over the top if poss,at least 18mm thick. The chipboard will not have enough intregrity and the tiles/ joints will split.

With modern adhesives there isn't really the need to PVA it, but I must admit I usually do.
Do make sure you get the correct adhesive - one designed for wooden floors. it has a slight flexability to it.

Woody

Me Too,

Blewmin cheap new houses. Didn't anticipate having to put ply down - extra cost and extra work!!!

Die chipboard / Die

Sponsored Links
i always unibond floors you never know if the washing machine will flood then the wood will blister and the hole lot will have to come up and be done again make sure you seal the edges as this is where the water will enter first:cool: :cool:

Read my post on here with regards to unibond Specifically PVA).

And expand on why you think it will help seal anything when it's actually water soluble?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back