Garage door nib wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Imagine existing garage come passageway with a 6' garage door opening with a standard 3' (ish) front door, separated by a pier of one stretcher width.

Two doors are to be replaced with one, with a small nib pier being built either side to correct the width to accomodate a standard 9' door. The front of the garage does not support anything above, except the flat roof, and has what appear to be a 6"x2" or 8"x2" joist above to support that aforementioned roof, going laterally across the garage door. The rest of the roof is similar.

Will the new nibs need to be built off confirmed foundations, or will the existing garage floor be suitable? It will be tied to the existing wall.

Also (and I guess this helps answer the 1st question) will the new door require a lintel above? This keeps being mentioned by FiL (who owns the house), however I wouldn't have thought a door would require it, especially if the joist is left in place. Thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Two doors are to be replaced with one
So the pier between the existing ones will be removed.

has what appear to be a 6"x2" or 8"x2" joist above to support that aforementioned roof, going laterally across the garage door.
So running from one side of the garage to the pier being removed.

if the joist is left in place.
I must be missing something.

Yes well spotted, I meant the joists go across the entire span of passageway and garage at present, over the top of the dividing wall.

The front of the garage above the door is presently a wooden frame faced with PVC cladding.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back