garage door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, We currently have a old (1970s i think) concrete panel garage (pebledash covered). We only have 1 panel sized window about half height of panel and full width. Is it ok to remove a full panel and insert a door? The frame would be made by hand by a mate (joiner) and the door of a standard size and cut down slightly. The roof then supported on 5x2" just like where the window is. so can this be done? any advise is welcome. thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Hi, i cant see why not, My father in law just bought a house with a garage like the one you describe and one of the panels has been omitted to leave way for a door - narrow though it may be.

The only problems is see are how are you going to remove the panel, some of them have a lip or tongue that links it to the next, and many of the older ones have a tough mastic that helped kept them watertight, and they are very heavy.

But if you can get it out it shouldn't be a problem.

thanks for reply. mine do have a T&G style to them to interlock into others but also 3 bolts per side, 6 in total. i was going to use them to bolt new frame in. also id have 3 people to help me, so moving isnt a problem, and removing them i was going to remove bolts, useing 9" grinder and concrete disk to cut into 3 (cut and remove then remove next bolt and cut again.....). We also have that mastic you say about, but its not gone hard and fallen out in most so iv replaced with silicone in some.

Easy peasy with a couple of pairs of hands helping out. Our garage is similar, has a 4ft wide frame from 2x2, which incorporates a ledged and braced door with t&g cladding either side of and above the door.

Sponsored Links
I take it your on about cutting into three and lifting them out from the top.

In which case would it not be as easy to cut 2 vertical lines and push them out, then undo the bolts and take out the remaining. Unless you need to save bits to go over the door frame as sometimes there is an infill above the door.

thanyou for your help. any help still welcome. anyway, might cut vertical like jm2000 says. but otherwise i think it shoud be ok. even it its only a small door, its saves opeining gate then walking round to main Up and over door. dont know about the door yet, might get satandard door and cut down a bit, it would be ok with the current measurments. or might make a door. any sugestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back