garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I plan to put 1 twin socket and 1 light into my garage.

I have a spare fuse 16amp in my fuse board for it.

Can you please let me know the best method of connection?

I was planning on 2.5mm t+e to the point of it leaving my house then connecting armoured cable (not sure what type (advise please and a link would be very appreciated)) via a 30 amp junction box.

In the garage (other end of the armoured cable) another 30 amp junction box then connecting into the twin socket.

From that an FCU that leads to the lighting.

The ground between the house and the garage is concrete flooring. I plan to have a wooden deck build over this so can I lay the cables under this and above the concrete (attaching to a beam perhaps?) or do I need to dig under the concrete and bed it in?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
by 30A junction box, i hope you dont mean the brown round ones :eek: as you need something substantial to terminate the SWA in (adaptable box, search www.tlc-direct.co.uk for them). dont forget the glands to terminate the SWA in. SWA is steel wire armour cable, 2.5mm² is fine for your purposes. Dont use any higher than 16-20A MCB though.

Run it under the deck, but attach it to the concrete floor using screw clips (it has to be attached to something permenant, i cant see how the ground isnt permenant, but your deck isnt "permenant" in this case).

Many thanks for the advise crafty1289.

For the adaptable boxes (I will need 2 off; one each end of the SWA) do I need to locate these at a certain height or are there any other rules related to the situating of them?

In my house I would like to have one behind a kitchen unit (I can cut a small piece out of the back for access) Is this OK?

In the garage I will situate it near the twin socket just below it (about 100mm)

Please confirm if this is acceptable, if not any suggestions are really appreciated.

If the socket in the garage is metalclad, you can terminate the SWA gland onto this, otherwise, put the adaptable box butting up to it and leave the SWA cores long, lead them straight into the socket box.

In the house, you can place the box as you describe. As long as it is accessible, as it is a joint.

Where you have T+E going into an adaptable box, use a T+E gland to prevent the cable from being cut by the metal edge and to stop it being pulled out. Use a grommet for the one in the shed, where it goes straight into a socket.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much crafty1289.

That is VERY helpful information...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back