Garage Inspection Pit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to start doing our garage out into a games room/utility room.

It's a double garage, and on one side is an inspection pit, about 8x2 ft, and 6ft deep. It's currently covered up with lengths of 2x2" and 3x3" wooden slats.

Has anyone any ideas what we can use to cover the pit - we want something that looks better and is safer for the new use of the room than the wooden slats. It will still have to be strong enough so that we can drive the car across it at times.

We don't want to fill the pit in, as brother in law is a mechanic - so it's useful to have :eek:

Any ideas? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Safer? :eek: At 2"x2" over just less than 2ft? :eek: If you're that worried don't walk on any suspended wooden floors which are usually 5/8" with a span of 16". Bear in mind that scaffold boards are 1 1/2" thick and are supported at every 1.2m.

I'm not worried about them not being strong enough to walk on, it's just that they look a bit of a mess. So I was wondering if there was some sort of boarding/sheeting/cover that would be better to use (and be just as safe!) - something that would cover the area but in less pieces ?

Maybe it'll just be best to cut some new slats, that fit exactly and are more flush with the floor (some of these stand higher than the floor level).
I think I've just answered my own question! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back