Garage Inspection Pit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about building a Inspection Pit in my garage. Would need to be about 5' deep and about 6' x 3'.

Anyone done this before?

Regards,
Gaz.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered a much easier option, which is a sloping 'trough' that you can lie in?

This needs to be only so deep so that you can get under the car and have enough room to swing your forearms. And rats don't make homes in this kind of pit.

You can buy GRP pits from classic car mags ;)

Sponsored Links
I seem to rember that years ago this use to affect the "rateable"value of your house,there again so did having windows :LOL:

But window tax pre-existed car tax by 200 years :LOL:

Nige F said:
But window tax pre-existed car tax by 200 years :LOL:

WHAT :eek: does that mean I can Un-brick my windows, don't know about the inspection pit in the garage ,the one I filled in because my rates wnt up.I really should not have put the wives body in there ,still at the time it just seemed such a waste of a good hole

splinter said:
I really should not have put the wives body in there ,still at the time it just seemed such a waste of a good hole

:eek: :LOL: You're refering to the pit here, not the wife, right?

When I had a new garage a few years ago now, I was contemplating a pit. But talking to a friend, he put me off the idea. As he said, you will often find friends and relatives phoning you asking if they can bring the car over and use your pit for the day.
Think carefully, you may be giving up your privacy :D

Ever wondered why garages don't use these anymore?

They are unsafe as any heavier than air fumes collect in them and you risk asphyxia if you use one. In a garage you get a bit of CO, CO2, NOX and unburnt hydrocarbons!

I work in telecoms and as many will have noticed cable joints tend to be buried in chambers in the gorund. Before entering one the air in it must be tested, if unsafe you do not go in!

Especially dangerous if working alone.

If life was that simple, the garage roof may need to be taken off
craymobilelift-04l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back