Garage or Shed - opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am about to move into a house I've been renovating. Its a 1930s semi, with corrugated garage (which has an asbestos roof). I also have a damp rather unpleasant shed (again with asbestos roof).

I had originally planned on getting the garden landscaped (new patio, built up with retaining wall etc). I had also hoped to get the garage demolished and rebuilt (especially as the wall onto the lane is leaning out). However, the builder has come back with a price of 12k for the garage and 5.5k for the garden.

Simple fact is, due to overspending on the renovation - I can't afford both. I am looking for opinions on what people would do in my situation - do garage and leave garden (but build some decking as the current "patio" is tarmac. Or, get garden done but go without garage (but have a shed built for storage). I'd probably use the garage mostly for storage and very occasionaly put the car away, but I'm worried I'd lose value in the house without one. I don't plan on selling anytime soon though.

Sorry for the ramblings! Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello

I am about to move into a house I've been renovating. Its a 1930s semi, with corrugated garage (which has an asbestos roof). I also have a damp rather unpleasant shed (again with asbestos roof).

I had originally planned on getting the garden landscaped (new patio, built up with retaining wall etc). I had also hoped to get the garage demolished and rebuilt (especially as the wall onto the lane is leaning out). However, the builder has come back with a price of 12k for the garage and 5.5k for the garden.

Simple fact is, due to overspending on the renovation - I can't afford both. I am looking for opinions on what people would do in my situation - do garage and leave garden (but build some decking as the current "patio" is tarmac. Or, get garden done but go without garage (but have a shed built for storage). I'd probably use the garage mostly for storage and very occasionaly put the car away, but I'm worried I'd lose value in the house without one. I don't plan on selling anytime soon though.

Sorry for the ramblings! Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Get at least 3 quotes for a start to make sure the £12k and £5.5k isn't over the top. Also consider wooden garage (interlocking logs like a log cabin) as these can be cheaper to purchase in kit form and you may be able to construct yourself in a day or so

If you really need th storage space then you will need to do that before garden I would guess

You can buy prefabricated garages for very little money (<£1K).

Quotes seem to be a little high but of course we don't know your spec (pitched roof etc)

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the replies. I'll have a word with "the boss" and see what she thinks!!

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back