Garage room conversion - OSB/Ply wall lining?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our new property which we will soon be moving into currently has an external single garage. It is a later addition, but is attached to the property on one side. There is no access into the garage from the property, the access is via the front garage door, or an external door to the rear.

I am planning to partition it off, and create an office/study in the rear section, such that access to it will remain through the rear door, and also have a door into the front of the garage within.

My plan is to raise up the floor level with beams/floorboards (insulate beneath), add a stud wall across the width of the garage and stud/insulate the existing internal block walls, and (if necessary) board/insulate the ceiling.

I had thought originally to use OSB/ply instead of the usual plasterboard, as I would quite like the sort of raw unfinished look to it, however what I cannot seem to find anywhere, is what if any regulations there are around this, particularly with regards to fire safety.
Is timber sheeting like this, suitable/permissable as an exposed wall lining?

Thanks in advance,

James

Sponsored Links
From the nature of the question I'm assuming you don't intend to have it signed off, in which case my hunch is that you would be well advised to have a proper wall finishing to avoid any potential legal argument n years down the line over whether the work was never actually completed and thus vulnerable to a demand to dismantle. Just guessing though really.

It's a garage. You are sub-dividing your garage to make a hobby/workshop space. It's not part of the house, not a habitable room. If it's a timber frame "box" which is to all intents free-standing inside your garage, should anybody comment when you sell, you just dismantle it and revert to an open-plan garage. It's what I did and no-one even raised an eyebrow when we sold. My space was obviously an office, but we left it off the estate agents plans (it just showed "garage"), and just asked our prospective buyer if they wanted it left as-is, or we could take it out. Strangely, they said leave it....

To be honest, I hadn't thought either way at this point (still planning), and wasn’t sure if sign off would or wouldn’t be necessary.

Sponsored Links
You might change your mind when you see the price of OSB. Other than that, can't see a big problem- if you go for the osb/ply option and you are worried Google Flamecheck- we use the stuff all the time when playing with pyrotechnics and timber stage sets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back