Garage extension/conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, We have recently had a garage extension and I'm now doing the internal fit myself. Our current garage sits to the rear side of property and we have extended it forward to the front of house. My intension is to remove old garage door and build a false wall with door as we want to keep that space as a garage. The new front part we want to create an extra room mainly for the kids to use. I have already installed power and lighting and raised the floor and insulated underneath. My main problem is heating, We don't have existing central heating close enough to garage that I can tap into and i'm not sure my boiler is strong enough to feed anyway. So I was considering a low output electric heater with a timer and stat that can be left plugged in 24/7 to maintain a stable heat. Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to do this.
Also, the false wall to separate new and old rooms I was planning on building a stud frame and boarding either side with loft insulation in-between. Is that sufficient to keep heat in new room and cold in old garage ??

The front is secured with composite door & window and with have access to house via an existing kitchen door which has been changed to a fire door.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Guess as its for the kids a wood buring fire is a no.

Get your kids good jumpers.

It's cold mate but you could throw loads of money on kingspan and other insulating things but you need a heat source like my plasma tv.

The war is keeping the heat in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back