Garage conversion question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of converting my attached garage, my plan is to use the back 2 thirds as a liveable room - this now has a door into the main house. The front third is going to be used as a store room, it currently has the garage door still in place.

I have put in all the internal walls, but am now thinking I should do away with the garage door and insulate the store room to make it 'liveable' under building regs.

So, two ideas; firstly leave the door in place, seal it and install insulation and stud behind it. Meaining it still looks like a garage from the outside but has a fully insulated wall. This is the easier option, but I think the BCO will prob say no on fire regs grounds.

The second option is to remove the door and build a wooden framed wall with cladding on the outside and a door, again insulated etc. If I go for this option, do you think I could put the sole plate straight onto the existing concrete slab, rather than building a dwarf wall? I want to leave it as much as possible looking like a garge and also want it to be easy to reconvert to a garage.

Final question, the BCO has asked that I put in 75mm of floor insulation, does anyone know of a product with a similar u value to Kingspan but is thinner?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Maybe, I would be arguing as its only the third of a size of a garage it won't be used as anything other than a store room and the likelyhood of a fire starting in new room (which should have its own escape window/door) preventing you from escaping the store room was unlikely. A bit like an ensuite off a bedroom or a walk in wardrobe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back