Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

Been lurking around the building forum most of the night reading about Garage conversions, I still however have some questions

My house is a detached property with built in garage ( there is a bedroom above the garage)

We have a drive and currently do not park the car in the garage

We have an up and over single garage door

The floor level of the garage is lower than the rest of the house

There are sockets but no CH in the garage

There is an internal door to the garage but not to regs as it isnt a fire door, this wasn't fitted by us, this door leads to the downstairs toilet then to the kitchen.

We would want to do the following

Convert to a living room, open up the current wall between current living room and garage creating 1 bigger living space. remove current up and over door and replace with a foundation wall 1 mtr and bay window (willing to lose this if PP required).

The floor would need to be made the same level, can this be like a studded wall? What type of insulation would be required?

The walls are breeze block and outer brick skin, do the walls require more studding and insulation? The outer is cavity insulated.

The Ceiling is plaster with skim, can this be left as is?

How much of this can be done by me as diy?

I know I would need to alert BC, I did this before for my loft conversion at my last house.

Sorry for loads of questions, I know the PP laws have been relaxed somewhat recently and I am 50/50 on whether to go ahead with this or leave it as is, also last question how much would this cost to do if I was to pay somebody to do it?

Cheers

:D :D

Sponsored Links
If it's a relatively modern house, there may be planning restrictions on converting garages to habitable rooms.
Other than that, the rest is Building Regs stuff. Floor would need insulating and damp-proofing (screed on Kingspan on dpm). Walls could be improved by sticking on insulated plasterboard. Ceiling would be OK.
You woulkd need an SE for your beams.
Is it DIY-able? that's up to you.
Cost???????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back