Garage Conversion - Floor is level with House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you are well.

I want to embark on a garage conversion where ill be doing much of the work myself.

I want to insulate the concrete floor, but the floor is level to the house, as you walk in, there is a step over from the door and the level is the same.

There is a slight slope to the garage door.

How would you deal with this when you want to insulate the floor?

Sponsored Links
You either break up the floor and reduce the level or have a step. However from a B Reg point of view I wouldn't insist on either, providing some other compensatory work is carried out, ie increasing the required insulation levels of the walls/roof f the former garage and/or improving energy efficiency of the existing house, topping up the roof for example, but you would need to check with your BCO.

You either break up the floor and reduce the level or have a step. However from a B Reg point of view I wouldn't insist on either, providing some other compensatory work is carried out, ie increasing the required insulation levels of the walls/roof f the former garage and/or improving energy efficiency of the existing house, topping up the roof for example, but you would need to check with your BCO.

Hi thanks for taking the time to comment.

Are you suggesting that the floor doesn't need further insulating if it can compensated in other areas? Such as the walls and ceiling?

Are you suggesting that the floor doesn't need further insulating if it can compensated in other areas? Such as the walls and ceiling?
That is the approach I would take, I have accepted the existing house loft being topped up or the existing house walls insulated, at the end of the day its about reducing CO2 emissions, but you will need to confirm with your BCO.

Sponsored Links
That is the approach I would take, I have accepted the existing house loft being topped up or the existing house walls insulated, at the end of the day its about reducing CO2 emissions, but you will need to confirm with your BCO.

Ah does make sense, thank you! I'll happily rip down the roof and reinsulate, half of the roof is slanted tiled roof other half has a bathroom and bedroom above.

My issue with that is that a solid concrete floor connected directly to the planet earth remains very cold and makes a room feel very uncomfortable.

Would recommend at a layer of DPM, then at least 25mm of celotex or kingspan and 18mm of board on top.

Sfk

My issue with that is that a solid concrete floor connected directly to the planet earth remains very cold and makes a room feel very uncomfortable.

Would recommend at least a layer of DPM, then 25mm of celotex or kingspan and 18mm of board on top.

Sfk
I think I would agree here.

Concrete slab would be cold.

Thank you both, thats my worry, the coldness of a concrete slab, but I definitely don't want a step up with Kingspan and boards.

I'm heading towards breaking the concrete and doing a proper job. Also an excuse to buy a breaker.....

I would agree. Cold concrete floor will make room unusable no matter what insulation you put on walls and ceiling.

And best to do it now whilst you can.

Last edited:
what if you break it up and it’s already insulated.?
How old is this house?

I would agree. Cold concrete floor will make room unusable no matter what insulation you put on walls and ceiling.

And best to do it now whilst you can.
unusable? stop with the nonsense . really. I live perfectly comfortably in a house with uninsulated concrete floors.

unusable? stop with the nonsense . really. I live perfectly comfortably in a house with uninsulated concrete floors.
Got to agree I've lived in old houses all my life to suggest they are unusable is nonsense, I did relay the floor the kitchen floor in my last house and insulated it but you didn't notice any difference to any other room.

OP Something I didn't think about, but if you have no DPM in the floor you'll probably have to consider taking it up or laying something over it anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back