Garage wiring plan

why have all the sockets and spurs on one 20 a breaker
It would be better on either two or more circuits if you have the consumer unit shown in the drawing and spare ways!
Although the wiring shown is possibly within the regs , it is not good practice,
Try to stick to a proper radial circuit a ring or more circuits rather than branching off, At what i assume will be a joint ,as it is in the middle of nowhere

Pvc conduit would be easier for you rather than metal conduit

Sponsored Links
A) The output of current consumer unit will be routed through 10mm (rated 53A) T+E from a 40A MCB.

If the supply runs externally it should be in steel wire armoured cable, not t&e.

If the supply runs externally it should be in steel wire armoured cable, not t&e.

I can see that using SWA makes good sense and is probably easier to route & terminate than conduit, however i recently bought one of the electrical books mentiond in the FAQ/Wiki section ( Readers Digest House wring book ) and it shows a buried cable being laid to an outbuilding that is T&E encased in plastic glue together conduit...

Question to all,

Does the internal cable between each switch or socket located inside the garage ( or shed, outbuilding, etc ) 'have' to be either SWA, or run in Conduit.
Can you not just use correctly current rated clipped T&E between each item ?

Sponsored Links
Didn't realise this had got onto two pages :oops:

To answer the questions:

The IP rated CU's for garages only have 2 MCB spaces, so I'm running one for light and one for supply, I will only be using a couple of appliances at once, so I doubt current consumption would be a problem (I made a generic CU symbol in my CAD package, hence the additional points shown)

All wiring will be internal, the garage is attached to the house. 20mm PVC conduit to house all cables.

The junction that splits the socket supply will be a metal clad junction box.

Hope this helps.

Also, I got home, hacked up some conduit and some wire and tried to run the maximum number of cables through it I would have... Worst case scinareo is 1x 4mm T&E and 3x 1mm T&E down the tube at any one time. They fit snuggly, and I can adiquitly bend them round the corners they'll need to go round.

Considering the MCB ratings I'm using to limit the maximum current, and considering thermal issues. Will this present a problem other than being a bit of a pain to wire up (but thats only a pain to me).

long question short. Does running this much cable through 20mm conduit violate any building regs?

Sam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back