Garden Fence Dispute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any advice on the following please:
We have lived in our house since it was built 10 years ago.

When it was built, we asked the builders to extend the fencing from the rear to part
of the front garden, these were aligned with the rear garden fencing as a boundary fence.
We had to pay for this fencing, which was 2 full sized panels and three
concrete posts.

Recently new neighbours have moved into the property next to ours.

They instantly said the fences and post were a few inches on their side of the
property. I explained it was put in 10 years ago and that we paid for it.

They continued arguing about it, subsequently we said we would remove the fencing
and posts. They said they did not want this to happen as removing the concrete posts
would damage their side of the property.
So we removed the fence panels and left the concrete posts.

They were unhappy about this and we said will remove the posts then.
Again they argued about. We left it at that.
After a few weeks whist we were out they installed their own fence panels. I took them to task on this and that they were my property, the concrete posts, which we had payed for.

They then said they could do what they liked.

None of the deeds are concise enough to show exact details of boundary fencing.

Is there anything we can do to at least get them to remove their fence panels which are slotted into our posts.

I am considering giving them 2 weeks notice to remove their panels and to then get professionals in to remove the concrete posts.

Sponsored Links
You should never have given them an inch in the first place.
I would try to have it all put back to how it was.

Your deeds should define who owns the fence, get a free half hour with a solicitor, taking the deeds along with you and get their advice.

Sorry Frank, but you showed weakness and they have taken advantage. Reinstate the fence and let them start again with you!

Andy

Sponsored Links
I agree with all of the above. One thing I detest is people who try to take advantage by bullying.

Do the new fence panels really affect your property in a bad way ?
Its one of these situations one may have to accept with polite discussion , with neighbours unless you have very deep pockets and a good Bank Balance to afford Solicitors costs
This could end up costing both parties tens of thousands of pounds to settle
These sort of Problems are a " Cash Cow " to Solicitors .

Thanks to all the replies.
As Bosswhite states these fence problems do take a long time to resolve and is costly.

What my aim is now, is to put two new fence panels that we would like to look at, and bolt them to the actual
concrete posts on our side, this does not touch their fence, but if they do complain!!!???, they will have to live with it.

I have found that using a ceramic tiling bit, eats into the concrete post with no problems.

Thank you all again

Thanks to all the replies.
As Bosswhite states these fence problems do take a long time to resolve and is costly.

What my aim is now, is to put two new fence panels that we would like to look at, and bolt them to the actual
concrete posts on our side, this does not touch their fence, but if they do complain!!!???, they will have to live with it.

I have found that using a ceramic tiling bit, eats into the concrete post with no problems.

Thank you all again

Be aware that concrete fence posts normally have some steel reinforcing in them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back