Garden Gate Pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pillar that has fallen down. The pillar wasnt attached to an existing wall (Standing on its own). Its not very high 12 courses high I think. How can I stop it from falling over again if I build it back up and rehang the gate. Do I have to redig footings?

Sponsored Links
Put some reinforcing steel rods into the pillar.

Re digging out the footings, I suppose that depends on which course it fell over from. Possibly.

The pillar is only 2 bricks per course....I imagine that there would be enough room to squeeze 1 reinforcing rod inbetween. Whole pillar came down, so will need footings too then.

TheWife said:
The pillar wasnt attached to an existing wall (Standing on its own).
What is on the other side of the pillar? or do you mean it's against the wall without being bonded in?

Sponsored Links
I think the best way is to use concrete post and you can fit timber bolted to the post as they have holes in them, then hang the gate to the post. Any free standing low brick wall or pier on it own is easy to kick it over.

I know what you mean. The concrete post is a good idea but then I will have to render the rest of the wall on the adjoining side, otherwise will look out of place. Think will go for the reinforced rod through centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back