Garden Office Foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to build a timber framed garden office but our soil is clay. There is one sliver birch tree about 2m away. The size will be approximately 7x4m.

The quote I have been given is as follows:

The area will be excavated to 400m and all arisings carted away.
A timber form work will be placed around the edge. The outer edge will be left at 400mm x 400mm deep to create a "TOE". This adds strength at the weakest point, the perimeter. A sub-base of crushed type one will be spread across the remaining base to a depth of 200mm and compacted.

We will use a concrete pump lorry to pump the concrete delivery to the base. This will be in a continuous pour.
The concrete will be tamped and float finished. The concrete used will be fiberous.

The cost for this is ......£6400+VAT.

This seems a lot to me as my brother-in-law has just started his and admittedly he did the excavations himself but the cost of the reinforced concrete came to £1,000.

Any thoughts or recommendation for ground workers in the Chelmsford area.

Cheers
S

Sponsored Links
Just build it like a pavilion on low legs. Couple of hundred would sort it. Do it yourself over a weekend.

Your brother is about right. Concrete slab with a bit of steel is best maybe 1.5K if someone else does it.

Richard www.aarco.co.uk - foundation article on my blog might be worth a read.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for that. Just been looking into hiring a mini digger to do it myself. Even if i went for reinforced concrete + adding fibers, the cost is still going to be under £1,500.

Cheers
S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back