Garden Outbuilding Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all (y)

I'm currently designing a Garden Outbuilding / Leisure building.
It is to be constructed of 150mm SIP Panels used on the Floor, Walls & Ceiling.
The SIP Panels are two pieces of 11mm OSB3 Board with 150mm of polyurethane sandwiched in the middle.

My question relates to Ventilation.

When reading guides on creating the best insulated outbuilding it sometimes states that to
be airtight is the best target BUT what about ventilation?

The building will have an internal area of 30 sq/m and there will only be a maximum of 2 or 3 people inside (playing pool / drinking beer) :D .

I was think of installing two grills that can be closed off if required, like you would have fitted in a standard house, one fitted on either side of the building.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ron_UK

Sponsored Links
The proper way to do it is to use a mhrv system. Of course there is no point going to that extent for an outbuilding but you will need some form of ventilation and ideally some very low level form of heating to keep it in top condition.

There are now single room mhrv fans which are about the size of a normal 6'' extractor fan.

Two vents on opposite sides of the building work best. You need to have some crossflow. You would need to leave them open when the building was not in use especially.

Hello r896neo

Thanks for your input.

There will be 24 hour heating which will operate on / off at set times, just to keep things comfortable.
I'll look into that mhrv thing but it could be a little too much for a simple outbuilding but thanks for the tip.

My wallet says just get some grills, lol!

Cheers!
Ron

Good news you're planning on heating it, that combined with some ventilation will keep it in good order. Far too many people spend a fortune on structures like this and dont consider this aspect properly. As i said an mhrv would be overkill as the payback is in better heating bills so unless it will be used and heated a lot as a full time office etc its OTT.

Sponsored Links
For basic ventilation use convection, ie one high level vent in a corner, one low level in the opposite corner, with a hit and miss cover or similar loose control so you can open it when you're in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back