Garden post, drilling, stone coping and cementing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with four queries please? I am replacing a garden post, 6'. The old one is set in concrete and I have bought a met post and a new post. Do I need to remove all of the old post, or should I saw it off at ground level and bang the met post in to that bit? (I am a 64 years old lady, fit but don't have Popeye's muscles.) Next, I have to drill into a metal latch, is an HSS drill suitable? Next, I want to put coping stones on top of the pillars that hold the driveway gates, do I cement all over the top of the pillars or just put dabs on here and there? Lastly, if I buy ready mix cement (in plastic sacks) how long do you think the unused cement mix would keep? Thank you for any help anyone may be able to give.

Dee

Sponsored Links
I am replacing a garden post, 6'. The old one is set in concrete and I have bought a met post and a new post. Do I need to remove all of the old post, or should I saw it off at ground level and bang the met post in to that bit?
If you replacing the old one I guess it's not in good nick, I would remove the lot and cement your new post in.

Next, I have to drill into a metal latch, is an HSS drill suitable?
Yes it is, but make sure you use a punch to mark the hole so drill bit stays in right spot, also pilot the hole with smaller bit prior to drilling larger holes and a vice would be useful to hold in place whilst drilling, but clamps may also do the job. Remember to wear safety specs too.

I want to put coping stones on top of the pillars that hold the driveway gates, do I cement all over the top of the pillars or just put dabs on here and there?
I would mortar the whole pillar giving you about 12mm joint

if I buy ready mix cement (in plastic sacks) how long do you think the unused cement mix would keep?
I would use it within the day of opening, once moisture and air starts to get to the cement it will start to go hard. But instructions of use and storage should be available with the product.

I am a 64 years old lady, fit but don't have Popeye's muscles.
good on ya and get some spinach down ya! or ask for help of a friendly neighbour.

Thank you so much for all the help, I shall have a busy weekend. Your last comments really made me smile - thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back