Garden Power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago I did an extension on my house. While doing that I ran cable to two waterproof junction boxes on the outside wall in the garden. One was going to be for lighting, and the other for garden power. The other end at the comsumer unit is not on the RCD side as there isnt any room and no room to extend it either.

So now I have 2 masterseal single gang boxes on the outside wall each with a supply in it. I have 5 lights running around the garden at the moment connected by Armoured cable and run back under the patio to the outside wall where the power boxes are. Nothing is currently connected.

How can I ensure these circuits are protected properly without having heaps of boxes stuck on the wall. Its not an option to remove the boxes that are there, so I would need to come out of these 2 junction boxes into whatever device I need to on the outside. It may seem simple to put 2 x RCD sockets out there (1 for lighting, 1 for power), but the lighting cable is already armoured cable so heaven knows how I would teminate that to get a plug on it!!

Any suggestions welcome! :)

Neil

Sponsored Links
can you not fit rcbo's to the board? they go on the non-rcd side if you have room there..

or do they go in place of the MCBs that are already there?? If so what sort do I need to get?? I have a crabtree star breaker consumer unit

Sponsored Links
How about an IP65 socket outlet mounted directly against the box with the power circuit in it, and connected internally to it

How about an IP65 Switched fused connection unit connected as above but iagainst the box with the lighting circuit in it and the armoured cable terminated into the bottom of th SWCU.

You may not require RCD protection for the Main Supply from the house that will depend on how you have installed/routed it. or if it is in armoured the no RCD required at all

yes RCBO's go in in place of breakers.. if you have the circuits on regular mcb's already then you can swap them for the correct rated one of these

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back