Garden Sleepers for a border

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

THis is my first post on this forum. I hope you can offer some advice to a novice DIYer...but the weather is good so thought it time I got out in the garden and did some work!

I have some garden sleepers brought from wickes...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/garden-sleeper/invt/187785/

Now I want to use these to create a small border around my front garden. Currently my front garden is about 1.2 metre by 6 metre and has got pebbles in it. Now all I am planning is using the garden sleepers create a single border.
Two main questions...

What is the best way to secure the sleepers together? brackets/screws/nails?

What is the best way to secure the sleepers in place...lay on concrete...is that too much...use of a garden stakes...if so how would this work?

Any help or tips welcome...the simplest advice would prove useful

Sponsored Links
If you want an invisible method of joining them I advise cutting steel rods long enough to be knocked into the ground behind the sleepers but sink them about 30-40mm below the top of the sleepers. Then secure them to the sleepers with fencing staples and finally cover the rods with soil, grass, bark etc...

Thanks for the response DAZB...I would ideally like to keep it clean and tidy ...so invisable sounds good. I'll take what you say on board.

But does lead to ask a important question the sleeper is 100mm by 150mm. How much of the sleeper should sit under the soil? Assuming I am using the 150mm down? I hope that makes sense. I ideally want to border to be as high as possible

Sorry , the method I suggested is ideally suited to if you are building a raised border with soil backed up behind the sleepers. In your case it may be better to drill a hole in the sleepers and drive in the rods to pin them to the ground, a bit like nailing them down. You could sink the rods a little and fill the holes if you wish.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a plan...I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Do you think the fencing staples you mention be ok to hold the sleepers together or should I use nails for this?

If you are sending rods through the sleepers then no nails or staples will be needed as the rods will pin them together. If you use , say 16mm rod then drill a slightly smaller diameter hole so it gets a good bite on the way in and doesn't just fall into a loose hole and allows any movement.

sorry , I sent the last post twice, not sure why so i edited it out..

yes that does sound like it will give a better more tidy finish.

How long do you recommend the steel rod to go into the soil?

As you only need to stop them moving and they are not holding a banking up or anything then I think 12-18 inch into the soil should suffice.

all done...didnt end up using the steel rods. just used brackets and nails to conect sleepers all together and wedged them in with the sand. as its not got any weight against the sleepers they are very secure.

I did try the steel rods on the one but the soil is pretty poor...hard and full of stones/bricks...so kept hitting them as i tried to push into the soil!

I use 2x2 treated stakes knocked in about a foot and then knocked below the sleeper by about 2 inches and then timberloks screwed through the sleeper into these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back