garden transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I want to instal a few garden spike light in garden but want to know two things
1 is the a outside transformer of reasonable size with capability of running 200w
2 between the lights there will be a distance of approx 8 to 10 meters but the cable is generally 2 to 3 meters is this because they are not capable of working correctly at long lenghts or also is the transformer capable of these lenghts

thanks col

Sponsored Links
If you are in the UK; but not Scotland, this work is notifiable to Part P, 48 hrs in advance, OK for next Xmas perhaps. :LOL:
I doubt that your installation would pass the LBA inspection, even if advice was given.

Regards

colw1 View media item 1266 depends how big the lights are, which you did not say, so it is not possible to give the answer you want.

i have seen garden kit lights with longer cables than you have said, most you run the main lighting cable then "connect" lights to this main cable.

As you have no clue what you can do, i suggest you have a look in your local diy shed at what they have to offer, and see what, what is on offer is capable of. Then buy something decent. You really can get six lights for less than a tenner, but if you f*rt near one they blow away because they are so flimsy, and dont even poke solar lights with a long stick (whack them) and dont be folled into buying any of that genuine metal rubbish, stick with plastic, why? unlike the metal stuff plastic does not rot where you cant see it, i have a garden light with a spike, the spike coroded and the light fell off :cry:
another i still have corroded on top of the spike, and this light almost fell off, if any one wants to see, i will take a pic in daylight

You won't want to run 12v lights 8 metres apart from one transformer - you'll end up having to use a huge cable to avoid volt drop. Use a single 60W transformer for each light, or maybe two or three if they're close enough and only 20W. You can use a buriable transformer or put a normal transformer in a waterproof box. If you really want to run from one transformer, you may want to go up to 24v instead, but 200VA multivoltage transformers are quite pricey.

Sponsored Links
sparkyspike, dont forget this is a diy forum, the voltage drop will be of no concern to Jaymack (so long as the light comes on why should he worry) and thats exactly what the diy kits do have, the cable in most must be around 2.5mm csa but they often only have small lamps.

garden direct burial transformers are a waste of space, since they fill with water from condensation if you bury them wrong (i read that on a makers website) not to mention cost

sparkyspike, dont forget this is a diy forum, the voltage drop will be of no concern to Jaymack

Well, he did ask about why the cable length is important, so I guess volt drop is relevant!

I've never used a 'buriable' transformer - didn't know they were rubbish. I normally use a waterproof box for the transformer - never had a problem with that. But, as you say, it needs to be installed properly.

Buriable or submersible trannies are inherently problamatic. They heat up and cool to extremes, and this creates a vacume which 'pulls in' moisture.

FLGLR150.JPG

I fitted four sets of these before, in the damp areas around a water feature. Nothing submerged. All the trannies failed and cracked.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FLGLR150.html

i am glad some one else concurs.

You can get a submersible transformer for 12v lights. I have one

View media item 7075
coroded light, you can see the "connection" for the base of the light is full of corroded metal. The ground spike is not much better

View media item 7074
Submersible transformer. It really is underwater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back