Garden wiring found

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just been upping some slabs at the back of the house and found some wiring. It's not connected either end so I'm not concerned about shocks but am surprised to have found it!

One end pokes up in a flower bed and I traced the other to the boiler cupboard where it is cut off. The entirety of the cabling is a few inches under the patio in thick black trunking; the cable itself is regular twin and earth that you would use indoors (as far as I can make out anyway).

My question is whether the installation is if it was connected up to power and outside light would it be a) safe and b) legal?

It looks in sound condition but I thought outside power had to be buried deeper.

Sponsored Links
If it's regular T&E buried underground, then abandon/remove it if you can.

Even if it was SWA, I don't expect anyone would be willing to recomission it; to do so would be risky - since it's buried shallow and has been exposed to the elements at the flower-bed end.

All I need to know! Many thanks - it's going to be removed.

Sponsored Links
are you assuming that because you have found another loose end, that is the one.
Good Q.

When I first read his OP, I did wonder, if he was surprised to find the cable, how he knew at the time of discovery that it was disconnected and safe...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back