Gas fire change advice needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have recently bought a house that has a Faber gas fire fitted (but like this one http://www.faber-fires.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29 ) but as I live in an old cottage, I want to remove this and fit a cast iron open flame fire in it's place.

I have taken the surround apart and can see that the fire has a sealed top section which is joined onto a metal flue.

I have seen a nice Victorian fireplace on eBay which is available with a gas basket, but what do I need to fit this safely to the flue?

Is it a DIY job? If not, what should I expect to pay, and can the current flue (4 years old) be re-used?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Firstly if it is the Victorian fireplace I am thinking of, with the closeable plate above the basket, then as it stands it cannot be used for a gas fire.

The closeable plate needs to either be removed, fixed open permanently or welded shut an a 7" hole cut in it, which if I remember correctly is what corgi advise.

If it is one of these then as long as the chimney is swept, sound and passes all tests then there would be no need for a liner. You would need a 100cm2 air vent in the room for a basket fire though.

Thanks for that.
It does have an openable flap, and now you mention it, I remember going into a neighbours house who has a gas fire with a flap, and someone had lit the fire without opening the flap - the house was like an oven and the although I couldn't smell any fumes I am sure it must have been pretty dangerous.

I'll be having it fitted by a pro so will make sure they remove the flap.

Cheers

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back