Gas Fire Removed: What to do with flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We've just had our gas fire in the lounge disconnected by the gas man (for free! ... he was giving our central heating annual check at the time), since we want to take away the fire and gain some wall space.

The fire exhausts through internal flue bricks in the dividing wall between our house and the semi- next door. There's only ever been a gas fire connected.

When boarding up the flue, should we leave ventilation holes, as per a proper chimney?

Sponsored Links
Yes you should treat the flue as you would if it were a coal fire that you were removing.

you will need to leave a vent into the room - and to do the job properly you should cap the chimney. some even sweep the old chimney first.

the purpose of these precautions is to avoid damp in the closed off void that will eventually cause all sorts of problems. the ventilation is enough to dry the void and the cap is to stop rain etc entering from above.

For what it's worth!

I believe (I'm no expert) that it is important to sweep the chimney first as soot deposists (espicially when damp - no fire to dry out) release an acid which can damage the mortar and brick/blockwork.

I think there have been posts on this forum previously that might be worth searching for.

David P said:
the cap is to stop rain etc entering from above.
Just to add on David P post, make sure the cap is ventilated as well for air flow.

Sponsored Links
thanks masona. yes i did mean to say that but it got lost in translation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back