Gas "fireplace suite"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Am about to replace old gas fire shown with new gas fireplace suite.

The house is 1981 built and has a flue and chimney.

Can I ask two questions?

1. Should we have a fairly wide choice of gas fires, suites etc?
2. I know corgi installer needed to fit but would they routinely put it together as well? I ask this as I’ve observed that some of these are like a jigsaw to put together.

Many thanks

L

Sponsored Links
Hi
Am about to replace old gas fire shown with new gas fireplace suite.

The house is 1981 built and has a flue and chimney.

Can I ask two questions?

1. Should we have a fairly wide choice of gas fires, suites etc?
2. I know corgi installer needed to fit but would they routinely put it together as well? I ask this as I’ve observed that some of these are like a jigsaw to put together.

Many thanks

L

Humongous choice available.

Have you a "proper" class 1 flue or a narrow precast flue?

Engage the right installer, and he will do everything.

Tips:
Find an installer BEFORE buy anything. Ask his advice and have the survey done prior to ordering. Expect to pay for the survey, particularly of he finds a major problem and you decide not to proceed.

Try to buy a fireplace where the header and legs are supplied as one unit. DEFINITELY don't buy one where the legs and header are more than 3 pieces in total.

Limestone or similar looks good but invariably chips or crumbles. If not heavily stain protected, they will absorb any minor spillages.

NATURAL marble looks fantastic - unless it doesn't! It is by mature inconsistent, and cheap stuff will be different shades on different components. Even the quality stuff has some inconsistencies, but should be acceptable. some folk will hate any level of inconsistency - they should not buy natural marble. MONTPELLIER MARBLE is among the best quality, if you are not overly price conscious.

If getting it delivered to your home CAREFULLY check all visible edges. Once you start to have it fitted no supplier will accept a return.

Cheap fireplaces tend to have "sharp" edges, as opposed to slightly "ground (arrissed)" These WILL chip.

Make sure your installer is licenced to fit fires AND experienced in fitting fireplaces

Sponsored Links
Many thanks.

Very clear and constructive response. I must confess I hadn't considered the "survey" beforehand but that makes sense.

My query re choice was more about limitation due to chimney size etc rather than individual design. I guess the survey will cover that point.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back