Gas Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope that this is the right place to post!!

I live in a large caravan, whilst renovating house, I have though started doing some modifications to the van, and heres my query.

The gas cooker runs of a propane (large red) gas bottle, as does the fire.
I want to modify (would use Gas safe plumber) the kitchen area, and instead of a gas cooker want to just have a gas hob!. I have done a bit of Ebay surfing and theres loads available however!!
My neighbour says I need to purchase one specifically for propane, as opposed to Natural, (town) gas..is this so?? I seem to think that loads of people up in the Sticks have a couple of bottles outside for cooking aznd cannot imagine that there cookers are specific.

anyone know the gen on this!!
Thanks
Russell

Sponsored Links
Your neighbour is on the right lines.

Your gas safe engineer will be able to advise you on this.

Andy.

Russel why are you aurfing the ebay/ net if you intend using a Gas Safe engineer (need more than ordinary Gas Safe only to carry out LPG work). Looking at the appliance is not enough. You could replace the gas hob your self but may not have a caravan when you light the burners though :eek:

How strange I should be seeing this after I did exactly the same job yesterday! [edit: My friend who I did the job for also bought his hob on ebay without asking my advice first and I wish he had known this]
Most gas hobs come with a set of injectors for LPG.
What I do suggest you do though is look for a hob with a thermocouple on each burner. So that if the wind blows out the burner the gas will be safely cut off.

When fitting the injectors on this whirlpool hob yesterday I had to use a little common sense to make up for poor instructions.
Each injector is numbered and the rule that I figured out was that the new injector was roughly a two thirds the size of its NG predecessor.
Roughly iirc
120 became 85
92 became 66
72 became 52
Might be better to suggest that you look for one with clear conversion instructions too.
There were other adjustments to be made as well but a RGI should sort all that out for you

Sponsored Links
Thanks DP, didnt realise that there is a law preventing me surfing EBay do i need to employ my "pricey" engineer to surf ebay for me??.

So am i right in saying that if i bought a suitable second hand hob that was not for use with propane, the jets would need converting.

is this basically the case??

Either you buy a new hob which should come with the conversion parts.

Or you buy a used hob already converted to LPG.

If you get a used NG hob then you will probably have a problem getting the conversion kit.

Tony

I personally won't touch any gas appliance second hand unless I know where it has come from and removed it myself. It's just not worth the chew and I would end up increasing labour costs on account of the extra work entailed. It would be cheaper just to buy new.
LPG is nasty stuff. It sinks to the floor and you could be paddling in the stuff not even getting a whiff until it ignites and turns into a sea of flames.
Everyone wants to save money but taking that too far can have serious consequences especially when LPG is involved.

Well siad slugbabydotcom. The OP took umbrage at my remark. Perhaps he should sit down and think why someone would punt an old appliance on the fleabay. Is it because it is old and is giving trouble, perhaps it has been removed from someplace else. Have seen parts on fleabay offered as belonging to appliance that no way would fit the said appliance.

OP I suggest you bid for the hob and never mind a registered person when you aquire the hob that puts a twinkle in your eye and money in your wallet. Why bother with a gas man- connection should be simple enough. Then you will be cooking with gas. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back