Propane cooker, no gas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Cannon carrick gas cooker o the gas bottle is full but there seems to no gas getting to the cooker we are propane gas bottles . We have plenty of spark at the cooker but wont light . It has been very cold up here but would that cause a problem.

Sponsored Links
Has the Over/Under pressure valve operated? That is on the regulator under a transparent plastic cap. The (silver) indicator/pull up connected to the valve should be in the up position. If it is down (barely visible). Turn the gas bottle off and disconnect. Unscrew the cap to the indicator and pull the indicator/Pull up until it locks. Before replacing the cap reconnect the gas cylinder, hold the Indicator/PullUp UP and gently turn the gas on. The valve should now stay in the open position - the Indicator/Pull Up will stay up.

Thank David Over/Under valve is in the open position it has been very cold up here in Scotland -8 last night and the regulator is positioned outside . Has it frozen do you think. I tried heating it with a hairdryer but still wont light? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you disconnect the connection off the tank and test there is pressure directly from the bottle, sometimes in extended freezing temps these bottles can freeze up quite quickly and then the pressure can drop right off. If there is pressure then look at the reg and use copious amounts of boiling water/multiple kettles would be the cure to that.

Some gas bottle-top regulators have a pin-hole that might frost over / be covered in snow/ice and block. Should be mounted so it doesn't get blocked, but... Hot water/air might help temporarily to clear it - but it may re-freeze?

LPG gas regulators need occasional replacement with age.
LPG gas regulators can get blocked with tarry residues from LPG bottles if fed via HP pigtails and the regulator is lower than the bottle outlet. (A well-known issue with touring caravans). Those same residues can sometimes cause blockages within narrow-bore LPG pipework and burner jets over a long time.

Can you hear or smell gas when the taps are open?

Photo of the gas cylinder-regulator setup may allow more specific advice... But it sound like a new (or spare) regulator may be needed, to me?

Propane boils (ie turns from Liquid to Gas) at -42 Celsius... so even in Northernmost Scotland is unlikely to be the issue for a gas bottle and small cooker. {It may be an issue with major energy draw off for LPG boilers and too small a cylinder).

Cant smell gas when cooker turned on i have tried the hot water treatment but no luck. We have a repair plan with Hotpoint engineer coming 23/12 but slightly worried the regulator not covered though i believe i have another regulator in my garage so might try that. Thanks

Found the fault it was the Over/Under pressure valve which had stuck( frozen) i checked and thought it was open half way up i was quite mild today so put more hot water on and it came up...... Thank you for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back