gas main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone tell me where a gas main should run? are there any regs or are they only guidelines?I have one in the garden and want it moved as i have hit it when gardening and they want to charge me.Its 2" wide 18" inside my boundary running alongside the path at 7"to 9" deep ?

Sponsored Links
Service
Private 375mm
Public footpath 450mm
Public road 450mm

Main
Footway / drive 600mm
Road /verge 750mm
Fields 1100mm

Sponsored Links
There used to be a fixed depth but they now try and get out of it by saying they are only advisory. Push it with them as the minimum used to be 18 inches they usually give up and do it for nothing

Thanks everyone for replying. stenova you say its 600 footway/drive 750road/verge 1100 fields would a garden be the same as a field?iI have the gas main for the road in my garden 7"to 9" under my garden

this is the gas main 18" inside my front garden i hit it when digging out bushes. the gas co. want me to pay for the repair and say im not to build a wall on it! this dosnt seem right to me?

If it's on your land & there's nothing in the deeds stating that the gas company have the right to be there then they're trespassing, I think the term is "easement". Another thing is on new type estates where the garden comes right out to the kerb, the first 1m is the service strip where you will find every utility, if you are in that situation then your stuffed, incidently you should be covered for this on your bricks & mortar insurance.
From what I can remember from when I worked for the water board gas mains should be around 2 foot deep at least & marked by yellow identifying tape, if you want to find out the proper depths that utilities should stick to you need to refer to the Public Utilities Street Works Act1950 otherwise known as PUSWA.

Just found this on the HSE site;

Minimum depth requirements
Gas mains and service pipes should be designed and installed in accordance with the requirements of the Pipelines Safety Regulations 1996 (PSR). PSR does not specify how deep mains and services should be laid.

However, the Regulations are supported by HSE guidance 'A guide to the Pipelines Safety Regulations 1996' and there is also a Health & Safety Commission [HSC] Approved Code of Practice and Guidance 'Design, construction and installation of gas service pipes'.

These publications refer to the Institution of Gas Engineers' guidance 'IGE/TD/3 Distribution Mains' and 'IGE/TD/4: Gas services' which specify the minimum depth of cover which gas mains and services should be laid in order to minimise the risk of accidental third party damage.

HSE expects mains and services to be laid at the depths specified in these publications unless other effective precautions are taken to minimise the risk of third party damage.

A gas main should normally be laid with a minimum depth of cover of 750 mm in a road or verge and 600 mm in a footpath.
A gas service pipe should normally be laid with a minimum depth of cover of 375 mm in private ground and 450 mm in footpaths and highways.
However, these depths are only a guide and should not be relied on when carrying out work near gas services or mains. For example, road levelling, landscaping and other changes to ground conditions after a gas main or service has been laid (often decades before) can result in the depth of the ground cover changing over time. Also, gas pipes may have projections coming from them, such as valves, which are not shown on plans and may have less depth of cover than the pipe.

Although yours is in a garden you need to quote the figures for a gas main not a service as that pipe is a 63mm main which is probably feeding the whole street.
Hope this will get them off your case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back