Natural (mains) Gas pipe into the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Do you know if it is possible to bring the mains Gas pipe into the garden to use with the Natural Gas BBQ? What do regultions say about this?

I am going to do some referbs in my house and can dig the concrete floor to lay the pipe from the gas meter into the garden. Will use a certified professional for the actual Gas work, just want to find out if it is possible/permitted at all?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
There is a special certificate for this. Contact gas safe who will give you a list of people in your area.

Thanks Dan, what is this specific certificate called? WHat do I tell Gas Safe when I call them?

Thanks,

It's LEI1 category but are you sure you can get Natural gas barbecues?

Sponsored Links
Would a US bbq be certified to use on mains gas in the UK?

That is probably another question I will need to find out about :)

Is it possible to lay the pipe without connecting the grill now? Will I need a GasSafe certified professional when I will be connecting the actual grill to the pipe outlet in the garden?

I am sure you can get them, worst case you can buy them from the US and pay £200 shipment cost.

Two things to check before purchasing from the US...
1) Is the supply pressure the same in the US as the UK?
2) If you're expecting your gas engineer to install the BBQ for you, is it one that can legally be installed in the UK?

British gas used to sell mains gas bbqs so unless the company who made them has gone bust then they are avialable in uk

No legitimate Gas safe installer would install a barbecue without the appropriate CE and data plate markings to operate on Natural gas.

How much barbecuing are you likely to due to justify digging a trench, pipework and fittings and labour.

Gas bbq's are still readily available, a well known forest holiday parc near us and in various uk sites uses them as install them. ;)

No legitimate Gas safe installer would install a barbecue without the appropriate CE and data plate markings to operate on Natural gas.

How much barbecuing are you likely to due to justify digging a trench, pipework and fittings and labour.

A lot of BBQing indeed, but I will use it as an outside cooker as well. During the summer when it is too hot to cook inside, an outside BBQ with a side burner works like a charm :)

I've been given a gas fired tandoor from a disused Indian resturaunt that I will be piping up in the garden
Roll on summer keema kebabs & nan breed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back