Gas smart meter 'console'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a sort of variation on the thread I started a few weeks ago and became a bit too technical for me. BG are adamant that I can have a smart gas meter without having a smart electricity meter. The issue identified in the original thread was that a gas meter needs to 'talk' to the electricity one and I have been hassling them about the conflicting advice. The lady I spoke to today asked her technical people and it appears that they fit a 'console' connected to the mains so there is no need for communication to go through a smart electricity meter. Does this make a bit more sense? Does anyone know about these consoles and where they actually get their connection from? They were a bit vague when I tried to find out on the phone. This explains why they originally said that my mains would be off for up to two hours - presumably they fit it to the CU.

Sponsored Links
I don't know. But it sounds like a work around, for when you don't have an electric SM
or if the meters are too far apart etc

Yeah I'm sure it would work. But can't see why I would want another box bolted to my house (using my electric) for little benefit

Yes, unless it reduces your gas bill significantly.

Even then, be cautious - they aren't rolling these things out for the customers benefit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back