Smart meter confusion

The Big Brother possibilities, which I can not be the only one in thinking?

It is not a great leap of faith to assume that by design, by error, or by hack, the GSM module may be transmitting other information too. For example it could be made to transmit WiFi packets from your house, as it already has a WiFi module and therefore "listens" to all WiFi traffic around it.

And as it already has a GSM module, adding a camera and a mic on the mainboard is an extra 2 cm2, trivial. "Spying" trackers work in this exact way, a simple GSM module, with GPS, mic and camera, all in a few cm2. The hardware could already be there with the suppliers not even aware of it, for example if the hardware design is a re-purposed mobile phone.

That is a bit of a stretch and why bother?

Most/all of us already have a connection to the internet via a router and fibre or copper. Why not simply remotely hack into that to spy on a user's LAN? I have a camera, three laptops, printers, smart phones, TV's and several other devices connected directly, or via wifi.

Sponsored Links
there are easy ways than to use a smart meter. (as seen in the news)

e.g
child toys
baby monitors
security cameras
alexia, google home (potential)
PC

Far More useful than knowing what's going on in your meter cabinet

there are easy ways than to use a smart meter. (as seen in the news) ... Far More useful than knowing what's going on in your meter cabinet
Indeed - exactly the point I recently made - at least, in terms of 'getting at data' (including indications that a house might be unoccupied), the opportunities are already plentiful.

It's a bit different with attempts to 'take control' of a smart meter. However, it's difficult to think of ways in which anyone would 'gain' significantly by doing that so that if it happened on a significant scale, I can't think why it would be being done other than 'for the hell of it' (at least, to satisfy themselves, and maybe others, that they could do it).

Kind Regards, John .

I've never really understood the point in smart meters having multiple registers (or, indeed, if the communication were faultless, any registers at all!!).
How about being able to provide the user with local display of units used - ideally broken down by price charged ? 'm sure everyone would be quite happy with a system where the data went off somewhere and there was no way to see the summary locally in the case of any "surprises" :whistle:

... I concluded that, in context, Simon was almost certainly talking about utility bills.
I was, and it never occurred to me that it might be taken as a synonym for note.

The new wireless smart meter network, operated by the Data and Communications Company (DCC), will cover more homes than are currently covered by 4G
Hmm o_O
If they planned to install their own network, then that would cost a fortune and for a very long time would have less coverage than the current mobile networks. They could, for example, use a lower frequency (if there is a band available for them to use) and get better coverage from each base station - but then that would not work with the existing GSM comms modules installed in meters.
I would imagine that they are doing a deal with all of the mobile networks to set up a huge virtual mobile network so that the meters could just connect to whichever physical network they could communicate with. Given that there are lots of places where some mobile networks are available but others aren't, that could explain the difference in coverage figures - citing the coverage of all networks combined vs the coverage available from any single network.

Using GSM, which is not secure.
Doesn't have to be. IP isn't secure, TCP and UDP aren't secure - but (eg) IPSec VPNs are secure because although they're carried over the insecure IP protocol, the IPSec protocol has it's own encryption (or rather, to be more precise, uses layers of encryption).

Finally, can't find the post now to quote it ...
I too remember the rolling blackouts of the 70s. I would imagine that a more fine-grained ability to do that is one of the reasons for having the remote kill switch. With ever more unreliable supplies, closing of existing plant due to age or economics, and the way new nuclear build seems to be looking ever further away in the future - it's not hard to see the need for "something" to cope when demand exceeds supply.
Look at December 2010. "bloomin cold" for something like 2 weeks, middle of winter so short days with a low sun (no contribution from solar PV at peak demand times), and next to no wind across the whole country - demand high due to the cold weather, and topped up by people using (eg) fan heaters to avoid freezing while waiting for someone to come and unfreeze their condensate drain :eek:
I noted a while ago (several years I think) that for a time, the graphs on NETA BM Reports were showing a prediction of huge deficits. Ah, found the email to my MP, it was in Feb 2016, and at the time BMReports was showing a graph of forecast surplus generation capacity where 14 weeks had a deficit, and 5 of those had a deficit in excess of 3GW. By the time those periods were getting closer the graph had changed - I think because they'd paid the likes of SSE to keep some large coal fired plants available rather than dismantling them.
Since then, more nuclear (and other) plants have closed, and many more windmills have come online. I can't help thinking that another Dec 2010 event would need either "the lights to go out" (one use for the remote disconnect in smart meters) or paying large users to reduce demand. Most likely it would be the latter and it would be interesting to see if or how that got reported in the mainstream media.

Sponsored Links
It's a bit different with attempts to 'take control' of a smart meter. However, it's difficult to think of ways in which anyone would 'gain' significantly by doing that so that if it happened on a significant scale, I can't think why it would be being done other than 'for the hell of it' (at least, to satisfy themselves, and maybe others, that they could do it)
Several scenarios have been postulated, all of them basically for the "because we can" mentality.

One is to just create a nuisance by remotely turning off meters - don't care about which meters, just that you can. The latter bit comes down to the difficulty of mapping an individual meter to a location (or vice-versa) without access to the mapping database. Should the miscreant be able to identify an individual meter then the potential reasons increase - for example, turning off a noisy neighbour with a wild party, turning off the neighbour in the flat above/below/through the wall from your bedroom how runs the washing machine and tumble drier when you're trying to sleep, turning off the ex's new [boy|girl]friend, ...

And then there is the potential for serious disruption with access to many meters. Potentially if someone were to remotely disconnect many meters then the grid would suddenly be unbalanced with shutdowns triggered on multiple generators. Allow enough time for such shutdowns to happen, then turn on all the meters again and cause an unbalanced situation the other way - triggering other measures such as load shedding. Again, this would not require knowing where any meter is - only a network address for a very large number of them. By triggering (electricity) network protections, the disruption can be expanded well beyond those consumers connected to the meters being manipulated.

While I'm sure that security has been addressed - the fact remains that there will be many millions of nodes on this network, nearly all of them in unsecured locations. I really hope they have got a good security model, otherwise it's likely to get breached fairly quickly.

How about being able to provide the user with local display of units used - ideally broken down by price charged ? 'm sure everyone would be quite happy with a system where the data went off somewhere and there was no way to see the summary locally in the case of any "surprises" :whistle:
Well, for a start, you seem to be assuming that 'they' have designed the things with regard to the wishes, interests and convenience of consumers in mind - and I thought it was being suggested that such was the last thing in 'their' mind?!

In any event, what you describe could be achieved by just one main 'register' (storing date/time and usage) and a tiny additional one story current tariff information (cost during each time window) - which could be updated by the supplier as often as they wanted. A tiny bit of processing (in the 'local display' and/or meter) could then give the the consumer all the information they needed.
I was, and it never occurred to me that it might be taken as a synonym for note.
As you will realise, it hadn't occurred to me, either, until I saw the response to it - and then I "bothered to think before I wrote" as a result of which thinking I responded to that response!

Kind Regards, John

Several scenarios have been postulated, all of them basically for the "because we can" mentality.
Quite - and as I said, I don't think anyone is disagreeing that 'down-link' needs a high level of security (as a result of which, the 'up-link' will presumably become very secure, too).
One is to just create a nuisance by remotely turning off meters - don't care about which meters, just that you can.
Indeed - that's what I was talking about.
The latter bit comes down to the difficulty of mapping an individual meter to a location (or vice-versa) without access to the mapping database. Should the miscreant be able to identify an individual meter then the potential reasons increase - for example, turning off a noisy neighbour with a wild party, turning off the neighbour in the flat above/below/through the wall from your bedroom how runs the washing machine and tumble drier when you're trying to sleep, turning off the ex's new [boy|girl]friend, ...
Yes - but, as I said, unless by unbelievably lucky chance, the person who wishes to switch off his neighbour because of a party, washing machine or whatever is not going to be one of the extremely few who has the technical ability to even try to do that.

I can but presume/hope that security is not going to be so pitifully absent that Joe Public could work out how to turn off his neighbour, and do it, before the party finishes :)
And then there is the potential for serious disruption with access to many meters. Potentially if someone were to remotely disconnect many meters then the grid would suddenly be unbalanced with shutdowns triggered on multiple generators .... Again, this would not require knowing where any meter is - only a network address for a very large number of them....
Is the system really that dumb/insecure - i.e. with meters 'blindly accepting instructions', provided only that those instructions are sent to the right address?

By comparison, even the most trivial of things I access over the internet require some sort of handshaking (usually based on a password) before they will 'let me in' - rather than 'letting me in' ('with no questions asked') just because I have gone to the correct url. I would hope that the smart meter system would at least do something similar - in which case a hacker would have to somehow get hold of the appropriate meter-specific 'password'/ whatever that corresponded with each of the pile of 'network addresses' they had come by.

Kind Regards, John

Theoretically true - but presumably that's not peculiar to smart meters - mobile phones, routers or any number of WiFi-connected thingies could ("by design, error or hack") do exactly the same, couldn't they?

Most/all of us already have a connection to the internet via a router and fibre or copper. Why not simply remotely hack into that to spy on a user's LAN? I have a camera, three laptops, printers, smart phones, TV's and several other devices connected directly, or via wifi.

Yes you are absolutely right. Not only they "could do exactly the same" but they "do".

Except : from all those home devices (wifi / router, smart TV / cable TV, laptop and PC with cameras on - I have covered my laptop camera and so do others eg Mark Zuckerberg) the only device completely out of your control is the smart meter. You can throw away, replace, reconfigure, reset, switch off, every other device (eg update the firmware on your TV or router or telephone) but you do not have access to your smart meter and you cannot switch it off even. There could be vulnerabilities and hacks that you would never find out about because there are no "smart meter" forums, or web sites to download security patches and updates, no one except a select few in the smart meter manufacturing and data processing companies.

Yes you are absolutely right. Not only they "could do exactly the same" but they "do".

Except : from all those home devices (wifi / router, smart TV / cable TV, laptop and PC with cameras on - I have covered my laptop camera and so do others eg Mark Zuckerberg) the only device completely out of your control is the smart meter. You can throw away, replace, reconfigure, reset, switch off, every other device (eg update the firmware on your TV or router or telephone) but you do not have access to your smart meter and you cannot switch it off even. There could be vulnerabilities and hacks that you would never find out about because there are no "smart meter" forums, or web sites to download security patches and updates, no one except a select few in the smart meter manufacturing and data processing companies.

Several years ago and over several days, from several educational institutes around the UK (I traced them back from my logs), I was subjected concerted and vicious hacking attack trying to get into my LAN - an internet troll and his/her mates whom I upset. I had nothing preventing this other than the filters included in the main router and its logging system. The attacks failed to gain entry and reverted to a denial of service. My logs were presented to the police, but it was such early days, the police didn't then have a department able to deal with or understand the logs.

I noted a while ago (several years I think) that for a time, the graphs on NETA BM Reports were showing a prediction of huge deficits. Ah, found the email to my MP, it was in Feb 2016, and at the time BMReports was showing a graph of forecast surplus generation capacity where 14 weeks had a deficit, and 5 of those had a deficit in excess of 3GW. By the time those periods were getting closer the graph had changed - I think because they'd paid the likes of SSE to keep some large coal fired plants available rather than dismantling them.
Since then, more nuclear (and other) plants have closed, and many more windmills have come online. I can't help thinking that another Dec 2010 event would need either "the lights to go out" (one use for the remote disconnect in smart meters) or paying large users to reduce demand. Most likely it would be the latter and it would be interesting to see if or how that got reported in the mainstream media.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ provides a neat live view of the state of electrical generation for the UK, from all of the generating plant and import/export interconnects.

Whilst the web site suggests they are to be using their own network, the network will just work on top of one of the present systems. I am puzzled by the mention of 'mesh network', where there is no access to a mobile network - so that 99.??% of the UK can be covered. My best guess on this is that they plan to have meters act as repeaters for other meters which cannot access a mobile network. Other than that, it would have to rely upon powerline signalling.

My best guess on this is that they plan to have meters act as repeaters for other meters which cannot access a mobile network.

That is possible. With one or more Premicells ( or modern equivalent ) being used to connect the mesh network to the mobile phone network.

A Nokia Premicell in Swansea could work across the Bristol Channel to a mobile mast 25 miles away on the north Devon coast.

Well, for a start, you seem to be assuming that 'they' have designed the things with regard to the wishes, interests and convenience of consumers in mind - and I thought it was being suggested that such was the last thing in 'their' mind?!
Yes, but especially given that this is (AIUI) a multi-national standard, they probably assumed correctly that they'd never get widespread public acceptance for a meter with no local readout with which the user could cross check the usage amounts appearing on their bills. Apart from that, not having a local display would preclude widespread installation without an already present and 100% relilable comms network.

By comparison, even the most trivial of things I access over the internet require some sort of handshaking (usually based on a password) before they will 'let me in' - rather than 'letting me in' ('with no questions asked') just because I have gone to the correct url. I would hope that the smart meter system would at least do something similar - in which case a hacker would have to somehow get hold of the appropriate meter-specific 'password'/ whatever that corresponded with each of the pile of 'network addresses' they had come by.
Well we don't know the details of the security protocol - I don't know if it's been made public. If it's any good then making it public would not be a security risk - keeping it secret smacks of trying to do security by obscurity which has been demonstrated many times to not work.

However, one area where they are restricted compared with general internet stuff is in the nature of the network and connected nodes. Specifically they will have an installed base of many millions of devices for which mass updates are not really practical and which possibly don't have the ability to do real-time lookups on CRLs (certificate revocation lists). While I suspect that there is a facility for remote firmware updates, I doubt that they would use this unless really needed - the risk of "bricking" millions of meters around the country doesn't bear thinking about :eek: Assuming it uses some sort of certificate based system, then that in itself has certain attack modes and managing certificates becomes a problem in itself. Should any certificate in the trust chain get compromised, then the door would be open to just about every meter in the country until they had been updated with new sets of trusted certificate data.

At least, being a closed system, they will be able to run their own - closely guarded - key system. In the internet world, there have been a number of cases of certificate issuers being compromised with serious implications.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ provides a neat live view of the state of electrical generation for the UK, from all of the generating plant and import/export interconnects.
It does - but it doesn't include some of the information available from BM Reports. On the Summary page there's some nice graphs, including a colour one showing the makeup of generation by fuel type over the last 24 hours - shows clearly that CCGT is doing most of the load following at the moment. What I can't find, and which was on the old site, is a graph showing forecast generation margin by week for the next 52 weeks - it was a useful graph showing how much spare capacity they expected to have available.

A Nokia Premicell in Swansea could work across the Bristol Channel to a mobile mast 25 miles away on the north Devon coast.
Premicells don't act as repeaters, but I see what you are saying - you can get a mobile signal across the Bristol Channel. There is a complication if you wanted to do a repeater function though ...
The picocells that the various networks offer are all tiny base stations in their own right and connect into the network with a VPN over the internet. Each one is tied to the one network, and the network operator is then responsible for frequency co-ordination - and always working within their own licensed bands. A general purpose repeater is not legal, as the operator of the repeater would need their own frequency bands to work within which would have to be separate from those used by the current licensed mobile networks. Not insurmountable for an outfit like the comms company setup to handle "smart" metering, but AFAIK they have no such band allocated - so AIUI they could not use GSM to build small meshes to extend network reach.
In theory they could use the short range wireless to talk between meters (as they do between gas and lecky meters for single customers) - that might well work for (eg) a block of flats where the lower floors got no mobile signal but the upper floors did.

Except : from all those home devices (wifi / router, smart TV / cable TV, laptop and PC with cameras on - I have covered my laptop camera and so do others eg Mark Zuckerberg) the only device completely out of your control is the smart meter. You can throw away, replace, reconfigure, reset, switch off, every other device (eg update the firmware on your TV or router or telephone) but you do not have access to your smart meter and you cannot switch it off even....
Whilst it's obviously true that, of all the devices we are talking about, a smart meter would be fairly unique in that one could not 'control' or switch it off, in practice many of them (e.g. mobile phones, routers, home automation systems etc. etc. - and many computers/tablets etc.) are nearly always left on, by people who generally don't know what is going on inside them. I therefore don't think that, in practice, smart meters represent any greater a risk than any of those other things..

Furthermore, given that I think we can be pretty confident that smart meters contain neither cameras nor microphones (and, in any event, that many/most will be trucked away in cupboards or, increasingly, in external cabinets), the scope for then to acquire any 'personal information' beyond that related to electricity usage would be pretty limited.

Kind Regards, John

There is a complication if you wanted to do a repeater function though ...

The mesh would have one or two "gateway" nodes which converted meter data into a data format that a mobile phone could pass in a call to the central data collector. The Premicell ( or equivalent ) would be acting as no more than a simple mobile phone working to a distant mast when it needed to make ( or receive ) a call.

Yes, but especially given that this is (AIUI) a multi-national standard, they probably assumed correctly that they'd never get widespread public acceptance for a meter with no local readout with which the user could cross check the usage amounts appearing on their bills. Apart from that, not having a local display would preclude widespread installation without an already present and 100% relilable comms network.
As you will have seen, I was not really suggesting that consumers should/could be denied a local display. What I was saying is that consumers could be provided with adequate information (potentially much more than is available with non-smart meters) witrhout the need for multiple 'registers' in the meter.
Well we don't know the details of the security protocol - I don't know if it's been made public.
Sure. However, I hope I am right in what I was saying - that, contrary to what you appeared to be suggesting, merely having a list of large number of "addresses" of meters should not allow one access to all those meters. At the very least I would hope that there would be some unique ID/password associated with each meter, which one would have to know in addition to the address.
... they will have an installed base of many millions of devices for which mass updates are not really practical and which possibly don't have the ability to do real-time lookups on CRLs ....
That sounds pretty likely - but don't forget that one of the concerns is that countless millions of consumers will have their electricity charges remotely changed on an hour-by-hour (if not minute-by-minute) basis - e.g. in real-time response to changing demand. If the communications network could really support that, then almost anything is possioble!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back