Scottish Power Old Non Smart Meter Replacement Question.

We often quibble here about terminology, and this is one of the bees in my particular bonnet.

Like you, I always put "smart" in quotes when referring to energy meters, and I use the word only because everyone else does.

However, all of the other things you mention really are very smart (without the quotes) - using highly sophisticated and complex technology which was totally unthinkable just a small number of decades ago.

In contrast, all a 'smart' meter does (at least, at present) is measure energy usage (which we've been able to do for at least a century) and store the answers in a number of registers and then communicate those answers to elsewhere via a 'wireless' link (with a small amount of possible communication in the other direction) - activities that I would not classify as 'smart' in the 21st century. Any of the other things you mention are 'more smart' by a number of orders of magnitude!

Kind Regards, John
I understand and agree, the point I was trying to make is that smart meters are not really any different to other smart devices, the fact they are a lot less smart, hence not having all the potential issues, makes the opposition to them seem very strange to me.

Sponsored Links
I understand and agree, the point I was trying to make is that smart meters are not really any different to other smart devices,
Yes, they are.

They could be used to charge you more if you cook your dinner at dinner time - or cut off your supply at various times during the day.

Don't forget, they are being fitted because of a Government directive; not because of the electricity suppliers.

Yes, they are.

They could be used to charge you more if you cook your dinner at dinner time - or cut off your supply at various times during the day.
They could but what do you think someone could do with your personal data? They know where you are, where you go, how much you spend and on what, what you watch, what websites you visit, what your politics are, it goes on and on. Smart meters are extremely minor in the overall scheme of things.

Sponsored Links
I understand and agree, the point I was trying to make is that smart meters are not really any different to other smart devices, the fact they are a lot less smart, hence not having all the potential issues, makes the opposition to them seem very strange to me.
Sure. As I often say, those who are concerned about 'Big Brother' issues in relation to ';smart' meters should be worrying a lot more about their mobile phone, computer etc., let alone these even more intrusive (and internet connected) bits of technology which one talks to in one'shome !

Kind Regards, John

Same here. For those inclined to worry about such things, there are far greater things for them to worry about than 'smart' meters.

We have daily deliveries of milk and newspapers, and therefore have to tell the providers of those services when there are going to be appreciable periods during which our house will be unoccupied. Our postman has a good idea of what times of day our house is commonly unoccupied. Providers of our mobile phone services know when we are a long way away from our house. Should we perhaps be losing sleep about these theoretical 'aids to burglars'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back