meter error, would a replacement be smart?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I am on an Economy 7 tariff and have an economy 7 meter that is currently displaying the wrong time by about 35 minutes. It's not a huge deal as we don't have electric heating, nevertheless I would like it to be correct. If I contact the DNO, or whoever, to get it swapped, will they insist on me having a smart meter? I am against having one for the obvious reasons. It was last changed in March 2009, so shouldn't be at the end of its life just yet, but if they have to swap it as it has become faulty, is that a reason for them to install a smart meter? Alternatively, as there is not much benefit for us in having Economy 7, if I was to change to a standard tariff, then would that involve a meter swap? Could I do that and get a new non-smart meter? I don't wish this to become a debate about the pros and cons of smart meters.

By the way, is it the DNO or my supplier I need to contact about a faulty meter?

Thanks for looking and replying.

Sponsored Links
I am on an Economy 7 tariff and have an economy 7 meter that is currently displaying the wrong time by about 35 minutes. It's not a huge deal as we don't have electric heating, nevertheless I would like it to be correct.
Are you sure that it's clock cannot just be 'reset'?
If I contact the DNO, or whoever, to get it swapped, will they insist on me having a smart meter?
It seems to depend upon the supplier. Most seem to 'ask' (I'm not sure why), but probably not all.
Alternatively, as there is not much benefit for us in having Economy 7, if I was to change to a standard tariff, then would that involve a meter swap?
Although there's no real reason why they have to (they could simply add the peak and off-feak readings together to get the total for a single/standard tariff), most seem to change the meter.
Could I do that and get a new non-smart meter?
As above, you'd have to ask.
By the way, is it the DNO or my supplier I need to contact about a faulty meter?
Supplier.

Kind Regards, John

Are you sure that it's clock cannot just be 'reset'?

That would be perfect John, although I don't think it can. Here is a picture of the meter... is it one that can be reset? IMG_5152.JPG

Without any specific knowledge, it would seem obvious that the time can be changed.

How else could it work?

Sponsored Links
That would be perfect John, although I don't think it can. Here is a picture of the meter... is it one that can be reset?
Dunno, but since it contains a clock, if that is not being controlled 'remotely' (e.g. by wireless), there has to be some way of 'setting' it. I see that it contains a Lithium Battery and, assuming that's been there since 2009, it could well need replacing.

As a first step, I would certainly ask your supplier if the clock can be reset (and the battery replaced).

Kind Regards, John

as an aside
often with off peak rates you can pay far more for your day rates compared to a level rate
i pay 12p per kw what do you pay day rate and night rate ??

as an aside ... often with off peak rates you can pay far more for your day rates compared to a level rate
I would say always (not just 'often'). Otherwise it would be a no-brainer for everyone to change to such a tariff, if they got day electricity at'normal' rate and night electricity cheaper!

My E7 currently costs 16.34 p/kWh during the day and 6.89 p/kWh at night. The break-even point is at about 34% usage at night-rate (below which E7 becomes more expensive), but I generally run at 50-55%, and thereby make a substantial saving by having E7.

Kind Regards, John

last time i investigated for my brother it was something like 4.5p night and 19p day rate

I can't remember the exact figures, but when I did the calculation a few months ago we are about £25 per year better off with E7. Wouldn't be worth changing to E7, but not worth changing to a standard tariff either.

Just phoned my supplier, they think they can send an engineer out to reset it. They are checking and ringing me back. Stay tuned!

I can't remember the exact figures, but when I did the calculation a few months ago we are about £25 per year better off with E7. Wouldn't be worth changing to E7, but not worth changing to a standard tariff either.
I'm doing quite a bit better than that :) (the funny bit in the middle was when my continuous monitoring system was down and I had to rely on {roughly weekly} meter readings):

upload_2018-1-9_17-39-24.png

Just phoned my supplier, they think they can send an engineer out to reset it. They are checking and ringing me back. Stay tuned!
That sounds promising. I presume they wouldn't but, if they do it, make sure that they also consider replacing the battery!)

Kind Regards, John

Its all built into the meter. Funny rate periods, but thats what you get. For half and hour personally I would leave it.
At present, I agree. However, particularly if the issue is battery-related, the clock might go far more wrong (or even stop completely) before too long, so it would probably make sense to have it addressed before that happens.

Although the battery is presumably only a 'back-up', in case of power loss, if it gets too ill, it could interfere with the clock's functioing, even when it is (as usual) presumably 'mains powered'.

Kind Regards, John

another point to note
if you havent swapped supplier for a while and are on a standard rate you will always save money as "standard rates" are the default most expensive make the most money from rates:oops:

We changed supplier about 6 months ago, so are on a reasonable tariff.
An engineer is now booked to come and have a look in a couple of weeks. If the clock stops in the middle of the night and we are on permanent low-rate, I might cancel him :D
Incidentally, our supplier said they haven't started providing smart meters yet!

An engineer is now booked to come and have a look in a couple of weeks. If the clock stops in the middle of the night and we are on permanent low-rate, I might cancel him :D
Don't count your chickens - the cunning folk may have designed/programmed the meters so that they default to peak rate 24/7 if the clock stops :)
Incidentally, our supplier said they haven't started providing smart meters yet!
That solves your 'problem', then!

Let us know what happens.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back