metal Meter cupboard and smart meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bit of two and fro between my energy supplier and my DNO over who has responsibility to upgrade my meter box. It is a 1960s house with the original built in meter cupboard which is metal. When the smart meter guy came to install, he said he wasn't allowed to touch the meter because it wasn't attached to a fire proof back board. I always considered metal to be reasonably fire proof. Anyway, I contacted the DNO who say the meter is the suppliers responsibility since their fuse is installed on a fire proof back board.

My understanding is that an electrician can't touch the meter, so I have no ability to upgrade the cupboard myself. At some point I will want to move the meter out to the garage, but for now I'd like a smart meter so that I can switch to an EV overnight tariff. What am I meant to do?

IMG_5340.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 339
Sponsored Links
To the DNO that meter box is fine, it is (I assume) a lockable, weatherproof and secure location for the cutout and is the homeowners responsibility to replace.
The meter fitter could easily fit a meter board over the top of the metal one in there so get over it being metal. Sounds like it wasn’t a straightforward swap so they walked away, a lot of the time meter fitters don’t seem to be able to get over problems or aren’t allowed to

its in the hall way, so yes. It's got a closet like catch on it. So its for the energy supplier to fit the fireproof board and then replace the meter?
Thats basically what the DNO told me.

.... Sounds like it wasn’t a straightforward swap so they walked away, a lot of the time meter fitters don’t seem to be able to get over problems or aren’t allowed to
I wonder whether a 'smart' meter's communications would work (reliably, or at all) if it were installed inside a metal box? If not, it would hardly be 'smart' :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So its for the energy supplier to fit the fireproof board and then replace the meter?
The meter box is the responsibility of the building owner.
Meter installer will expect a fire resistant board to screw the meter to - a metal backing will not do, as they wont have any fixings suitable for metal.

A realistic solution is for you to obtain a suitable board, and have appropriate fixings to attach it to the metal back of the box.
When meter replacement person arrives, they remove the meter, you fix the board in place, they attach new meter to it.

At some point I will want to move the meter out to the garage,
That's not likely, supplies generally go in external meter cabinets for relocations and new build.
Both the supply and meter will need to be moved, you can't have the supply there and a meter somewhere else.

I wonder whether a 'smart' meter's communications would work (reliably, or at all) if it were installed inside a metal box? If not, it would hardly be 'smart' :)

Kind Regards, John
I would also think it would be a good faraday cage? The problem I had was some one drilled two holes for the tails with no saw cut between the holes.

The meter box is the responsibility of the building owner.
Meter installer will expect a fire resistant board to screw the meter to - a metal backing will not do, as they wont have any fixings suitable for metal.

drill and self tappers ?

No one seems to have noticed.

Is that not a meter that is already somehow fixed in the cabinet?

No one seems to have noticed. Is that not a meter that is already somehow fixed in the cabinet?
It ceertainly looks like a meter :) ... and it also seems to be screwed or bolted to 'the back' ...
1693166449634.png

There is something at the back to which everything is attached. Might that not perhaps be a (painted) 'board'?

Kind Regards, John

I suspect it was done when metal was considered fireproof and wood wasn't.

The whole thing is recessed in the wall, so I could easily replace the door with something fibreglass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back