Gate post and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Could use some help.

I've set a couple of gate posts into the ground along a side passageway around our house, they're set next to the foundations of the building - so there's a gap between the gate posts and the wall.

I didn't want to put the posts on the wall to avoid damp problems so I've deliberately set them away from the wall. The gap is about four inches (I haven't measured it yet, still building the gate).

The wall is my neighbors wall, so I don't want to drill any wood into it to avoid them suffering damp problems as well. All the houses are about a hundred years old and suffered from damp problems in the past, so I don't want to restart things.

I was thinking of just putting a plank of wood screwed into the post to block out the sight of any uglies walking pass the house, but then I thought it might look bodged.

Any ideas for how to fill the gap?

Thanks in advance! :)

Sponsored Links
As you don't want to attach anything to the neighbours house it might be problematic to do anything other than screw a bit of wood in place.

I would suggest constructing a 'fence'. Get 2/3 lengths of featherboard and a single arris rail. Chop the arris rail into 3 lengths to go from the post to the wall, use long screws to hold them in place and nail/screw the featherboard to the arris rails. It would not be mega strong if someone wanted to kick it in but it would be strong enough to look like a fence and withstand the weather. The thin edge of the featherboard and ends of the arris rail would not be enough to cause damp issues...

Alternatively you could plant some sort of climbing shrub to fill the gap?

Yeah, I think screwing a bit of wood in place is really all I can do about it to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back